Appropriate Reef Roids Dosage

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems I've been overdosing reef roids as it caused my phosphates to spike. I simply mix a tablespoon of roids in a small measuring cup and mix with some water for a thick slurry, then dose each coral that I'd like to feed. I have a reefer 350 with a modified sump and a large fuge with chaeto, but my phosphates would jump from .06 to .16 after a feeding. I didn't think this would cause a spike as I feed each coral and do not broadcast. What are the amounts of Reef Roids and how often are you guys feeding to avoid issues like this?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird. I have a 3 gallon that I feed reef roids to. I take about a pinch. I haven’t measured phos in that tank for a while though. Maybe it is raising them.

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pinch or 2 and mix with about 2 teaspoons of tank water. I then turn off my pumps, tilt the cup of ReefRoids on edge and suck up about half a straw( see my picture) of roids/water. The roids are heavier than water and drift out of the end of the straw and onto the coral . The end of the straw is about a 1/4 inch or less away from the coral. I get very little roids into the water column this way. I can control how much each polyp gets by how long I hover over each polyp.
DSC02582.JPG

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess im feeding really heavy. I drop a ml of polyp booster then. I make thick paste from teaspoon and target feed everything that will accept it. I dose the leftovers right to the tank. Everything was in check until I sold my h80 before my h380 arrived. Only 4 days but phosphate skyrocketed. Oddly gha didn't bloom like crazy. Weird.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back