Approve setup and a few questions

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Im Marvin, 28 years old and from germany. I never had any kind of aquarium and a few month ago the dang youtube algorithm got me from a simple "Nature in a bottle" to a reef tank... And I was immediately hooked...What a journey it is :D
Im quite unsatisfied with the local forums in germany and on my many searches I always ended up here anyway. So here I am :p

So since then Im researching reef tanks and what to do and what to buy and I have to admit my head is about to explode.
None the less, Im still really excited to start and think that Im thinking about all the stuff way to much (thus the head explosion :D ) and things are way easier once you really start doing them.

My plan is to go with a Red Sea Reefer 300XL (or 250). Im waiting on a really good sale (BlackFriday or Christmas) or a good used-offer near me. I want to start with easy to handle corals (+ cleaner crew (Mespilia globulus, stenopus hispidus,Tectus fenestratus and some snails) ) and see how things running. If everything runs smooth and I feel comfortable with it, I want to add fish (e.g. Nemos, halichoeres wrasses, royal gramma basslet, blennies).

But I need some help with the setup, some reviews if everything is compatible and a good choice :)
So please let me know if I miss something completly or my choice could be better.
I try to get used stuff as much as possible to safe some money, unless there are any dangers to buy a specific piece used?
Thats why it's hard for me to say what my budget is on the equipment. I would say I want to go between cheap and highend. So basically the avarage stuff.

Heres everything I plan to get:

- Powerhead - Budget ~200€ / 300$:
Tunze Nanostream 6025 (One or two?) + Controller

- Returnpump - Budget 100€ / 150$:
Tunze Silence 1073.020

- Skimmer - Budget ~300 € / 400$:
Reef Octopus doesn't seem to be available in germany.
So I tought maybe an Nyos Quantum 120 or Bubble Magus Curve 5?
What you guys think and will it fit into the RS 300XL ?

Light - Budget ???:
Absolutley no idea :( I thought I go with a Red Sea 90, but I saw a lot of mixed reviews. Any help?

Filtration - Budget ?
Do I even need anything beside a skimmer?

Heater:
Haven't looked, but I think (and hope) that this one is no rabbithole :)

Refill:
If I understand it correctly, the RS 300XL already has it build in and I dont need anything else.

Stuff:
- RODI
Osmotech Hobby
- Rocks:
Maybe RealReefRock or Marco Rocks. But it will be mainly dead/dry rock. I try to get 1-3 small livingrocks for bacteria and to build some islands. If I do so, do I still need bacteria for cycling?
- Bacteria
If needed (question above), Dr Tims one and only?
-Salt
Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt
- Sand
Aqua Medic Bali Sand 0,5 -1,2mm
- Tunze windows cleaner

- Testingkits
Two Hanna Checker (Phosphorus ULR and Alkalinity) + Random testingkits

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome Marvin :) You came to the right place for learning! BRS also has many videos for setting up a new reef tank that may be helpful

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome :)
I watched a lot of their videos already. Pretty good stuff. But I still hope to get some answers here. Maybe its better to ask the questions seperatly in the right sections to get the answers Im looking for

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos 120 skimmer is a great choice (I have the 160).
I'd look at the Sicce SDC 6.0 for a return pump (wireless control is the way to go). A pair of Tunze powerheads would be great, or the new WiFi Sicce ones or a single Red Sea ReefWave25.

Yes, the Red sea has a gravity fed ATO (about 3-4 days of evaporation). You may also want to consider the Red Sea DIY lid kit.

I used Bio-Spiran to instant cycle my tank, and Tropic Marin is great salt. For testing I'd suggest the Red Sea Marine Pro teat kit.

Lighting, EcoTech Radion XR15 G5 Blue (2 would be ideal).

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks blaxsun. I think the Sicce SDC 6 would be overkill for me. While I do have the money to go for everything, I still kind of want so save a bit money. It's still my first tank and Im not sure if I feel comfortable going all out just now.

I think I go with something like the Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0. Its almost 150 bucks less here than the 6.0.
Maybe I would go for it, if I find it used. I found just one used offer for a 7.0 for 150€ (about 200$). Maybe thats a good deal.

Die DIY Lid is a good advice, will look into it. Also the testing stuff and bacterias.

The Radions look good. On my research I stumbled upon the Kessil AP9X. The price is pretty hefty, but actually if you consider that most of the times you need at least 2 lamps (eg. the Radion XR15), you will be in that area of $$$ anyway.
So what you guys think? 2x Radion XR15 (or something similar) or 1x Kessil AP9X? So far I only read positve things about the kessil.

What about filtration? Will be a skimmer enough for the start? I also have to look more into that topic (refugium and all that stuff)

Really appricate this forum and the help of you guys!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the tunze silence pumps. I'm not sure if we can even get them in the US anymore.

I'd go with two xr15s personally, but that's subjective.

I'm a big supporter of going with as much live rock as you can budge for rather than a mostly dry rock tank. It will just go more smoothly.

No need for a filter beyond a skimmer at this point, but you may decide you want UV at some point down the road.

I always advocate for aquarium controllers. Not 100% essential, so see if you can get a good price on a used one from someone in your area.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Just noticed that the tunze 6025 isn't controllable. So I thought I just go with the 6055? Do I still need two of them?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 36" by 20" tank, for flow im using a maxspect jump gyre 4k at 60% and a sicce sdc at 30% and a jebao wp10 at some %, this is for a very high flow tank. I dont think 2 sicce sdc will be great for sps but will suffiice for lps and softies. 1 gyre 4k would do pretty well for a mixed tank (sps,lps,softies) but you may get some dead areas in the back.
I always oversize pumps, especially dc gyre because you can turn them down a lot and gyres tend to slow down a bit with even a bit of use. I wouldnt want to deal with the 2k personally as i dont like the high whine of a dc pump at full capacity.
Tunze is a great return pump, sicce ac are also great as well and may be a bit cheaper near you, not sure as I think sicce is an italian brand. Nyos makes return pumps as well but i dont know if they are used as often in the US.
Lighting is up to you and gonna depend on your aesthetics, budget, and what corals you like to grow. Over here in the US we tend to like much bluer tanks thank yall over in europe

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heater:
Haven't looked, but I think (and hope) that this one is no rabbithole :)
Main consideration in my opinion is some sort of external controller rather than relying on heater built in thermometer which often fails. Inkbird or similar if not using a full function reef controller.

- Testingkits
Dont forget the refractometer(or other salinity tester)

o what you guys think? 2x Radion XR15 (or something similar) or 1x Kessil AP9X? So far I only read positve things about the kessil.
Personally i would go with the kessil out of those options.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Returnpump - Budget 100€ / 150$:
Tunze Silence 1073.020 -----take a look at sicce ac as well and nyos

- Skimmer - Budget ~300 € / 400$:
Reef Octopus doesn't seem to be available in germany.
So I tought maybe an Nyos Quantum 120 or Bubble Magus Curve 5?
What you guys think and will it fit into the RS 300XL ? Nyos 120 is a beast, i have one, hopefully they are a bit cheaper near you

Light - Budget ???:
Absolutley no idea :( I thought I go with a Red Sea 90, but I saw a lot of mixed reviews. Any help? too many options let us know what you are looking for aesthetics and corals to grow

Filtration - Budget ?
Do I even need anything beside a skimmer?

Heater:
Haven't looked, but I think (and hope) that this one is no rabbithole-----Doesnt matter just buy a temp controller (around $30) with it and 2 decent size (around manufacturer recommendation). It gives you the failsafe of both internal temp control in heater and also protection from the unit itself

Refill:
If I understand it correctly, the RS 300XL already has it build in and I dont need anything else.

Stuff:
- RODI
Osmotech Hobby
- Rocks:
Maybe RealReefRock or Marco Rocks. But it will be mainly dead/dry rock. I try to get 1-3 small livingrocks for bacteria and to build some islands. If I do so, do I still need bacteria for cycling?
- Bacteria
If needed (question above), Dr Tims one and only? ------I prefer frityme 9 but pretty much any bottled stuff works as long as you give it time and dont overload ammonia
-Salt
Tropic Marine Pro Reef Salt
Great salt mix, this or red sea blue bucket whatever is more economically friendly for you
- Sand
Aqua Medic Bali Sand 0,5 -1,2mm (I would go with thicker grade sand as light sand tends to blow around too much)
- Tunze windows cleaner

- Testingkits -----Refractometer
---Salifert or red sea are good to have on the side for cheaper

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay the quota option here confuses me, no Idea how it works. Anyhow

Thanks for the answers!
@dedragon
For the return pump:
I found a good used offer for a royal exclusive x40. From what I read, there isn't anything much better than this.

Light:
I do like the blue light, but it doesn't have to be super intense. I dont like the look without any blue, looks kind of lifeless :) I would say I go with softies and LPS.

Sand:
I read that you get issues with algae or bacteria with thicker grade sand and with fine sand it will blow around.
Because of that I thought 0,5-1,2 mm would be a good compromise between really fine sand and thick one.
What would you suggest?

Powerhead:
Is the tunze 6055 (two of them prob.) the right one? Or is with that kind of budget (350$) something else more worthy?

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohman, seems like i found the first good used offer, after 1 month of searching and waiting, which is also near me :D
He wants to have 1500 Euro (~1700$) but i want to get lower. Hopefully to 1300 Euro.
Tank is half a year old and contains:
- Red Sea 250
- AI 32HD LED (only one, seems like its not enough for a 250... But reviews seem to be ok.)
- 4x Tunze powerheads
- Tunze Skimmer
- Skimz returnpump
- UV Light
- Heater

You think thats a good Deal?

There are better offers, but far away from me. One is 4 hours away but price and included tech is insane (2x vortech mp40, 2x Red sea 90 LED) for ~1300$ (2years old). But minimum 300 bucks would add for Transport. Maybe i consider this one too, but so far He hasnt replied. I think the price + Transport would still be a no brainer. But the other offer is Just a few Minutes away

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! I'm a newbie as well (four months with my tank but a few years researching) so my comment is coming from someone who is also new to this. The difference is that I have kept freshwater tanks for years. If you have never kept a tank before (even freshwater) then I would suggest starting with fish and inverts/cuc first before jumping into coral. Even beginner coral require a bit more care and attention to keep them healthy. Starting with fish and inverts gets you used to maintaining the tank (mixing salt, testing, water changes, top-offs, etc.) and it also gives your tank time to settle in. Another thing to remember... go slow including stocking your tank. Rushing this hobby never ends well.

As far as used equipment goes the other members with similar equipment can comment in more detail but I would say make sure you add up what it would cost to buy the equipment new (including shipping), then factor in age of the equipment (I think you said about 1-1/2 yrs) to get a good idea of whether the person is asking too much.

Keep us updated with your journey!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you don't necessarily "NEED" any equipment like a skimmer or anything that may seem optional. You can make things as simple or as complex as you want.

You need three basic things equipment wise, a way to move the water around, a heater, and a light.

You can make things as simple or as complex as you want. I have run a few nano tanks in the past that were simply live rock, heater, light, and a single powerhead. These were by far my favorite tanks that I have had. They are simple, and maintenance is just a 30% water change every 10-14 days.

I also have a 180g peninsula with controllable everything. Huge skimmer, cheato reactor, metal halide lights, ect. This tank is more "work" because things take longer to do, and any negative that may be going on can take much longer to correct and back in the positive direction. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this tank, and it looks awesome, but just a little more work than I really want.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I really want to get the Equipment, I also want to go as slow as needed when everything is ready. I know that rushing things leads to dead animals and thats something I dont want at All. And obviously money going down the drain ^^

I actually thought it would be easier to Start with corals only and then add fish. Never thought of the other way. If that really is easier thats maybe something to consider

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add one more thing. As other members mentioned you can make the system as simple or complex as you want. If you start with fish and inverts you just need the tank, a heater, lights and a pump. I have a 5g with only this setup and don't plan to change it anytime soon other than I just added coral so I also added an in-tank powerhead to help move water around for their needs. The only other important piece of equipment is a RODI water maker but that depends on the quality of your tap water. Additions like a sump aren't needed, even with coral. A sump helps to provide additional water volume as well as a place to keep additional equipment to aid in maintaining the system (such as a skimmer). Build a plan for the type of livestock (fish, inverts, corals) you want to keep that way you can create the system around that plan/vision. If you end up buying used then you will most likely get equipment you don't necessarily need to start your journey but if it's coming as a packaged deal then that's great.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, but Im actually not sure what you trying to say to me here^^
Ofcourse you dont always need anything, but if its part of the package why not. Doesnt mean I have to use it.
Most of the used bundles I find near me or at least in germany is at least 50% off the new price. Even 20-30% less than buying the stuff seperately used.

So buying a complete/big bundle is a huge save in money. And I just wanted to be sure and ask you, if thats the case with the two deals I mentioned above

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Push because of the diffrent timezone.
I thought going bigger is going more easy. And the reefer 250 is the biggest I can go in my apartment.
Or should I go with nano or 170? Im a bit confused now ^^

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back