April NARC meeting

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might have been eating anything and everything that they can find to stay alive. Marc started buying Ulva at that point. Ulva was growing so well under the strong light of metal halide bulbs in that shallow tank as you may recall. I tried to grow Ulva a few times but Ulva never did well in my refugium. I suspect that they needed a much higher amount of light than I was providing.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might have been eating anything and everything that they can find to stay alive. Marc started buying Ulva at that point. Ulva was growing so well under the strong light of metal halide bulbs in that shallow tank as you may recall. I tried to grow Ulva a few times but Ulva never did well in my refugium. I suspect that they needed a much higher amount of light than I was providing.

same here plus it gets eaten a lot.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about adding some grape caulerpa/c. racemosa into the refugium of my 15 gallon tank. I wonder if anyone can bring me a few sprigs of grape caulerpa.

I have a good amount of chaeto but they are not doing as well as I expect. They are probably getting too much light. Chaeto seems to like less amount of light than I have on it. They are bleaching at the top. When I set up my 180, I got too busy with it and my work was demanding, I started slacking off on water changes on 15G. Subsequently, when I put a new zoanthid frag into the 15G, it brought bryopsis in. Since then I am fighting a terrible battle with bryopsis in that tank. I tried many things including Kent Tech M, but increasing the amount of plants and light intensity and period in the fuge worked the best so far.

Interestingly, when I used GFO in the tank out of desperation, most of my c. prolifera melted away and bryopsis showed up in the fuge. When I removed GFO and increase the light level over the fuge, chaeto and c. prolifera recovered and started growing again. Instead of reducing the light intensity, I'd like to try some C. racemosa which grew really well in the fuge of my 120 in the past. C. racemosa seems to do better in very lean water and high light than chaetomorpha does.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was grape under higher lighting outcompeted the prolifera. And vice versa under lower lighting.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We enjoyed seeing everyone at WEEC. It was fun and the kids had a blast. I'll try to get some pic up tomorrow.

8BALL_99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a few critter pics we took
IMG_1580.jpg
IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg
IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg
IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the pictures Harry. I keep promising to go, and get caught up in stuff here and at work.

I was really hoping to corner Will and ask some build questions and get a bit of DIY advice. May have to do that later. :)

At any rate, hopefully when summer gets here I can wander up that way and actually see you guys again.

OP
OP
Mariner

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Harry! Thanks for posting them. We had a great time. Thanks to Marc Slate from WEEC for taking time from his busy schedule to host us. Great to see everyone!
BTW, Tomoko and Bob, Marc offered to give anyone who wanted it a HUGE wad of caulerpa and bubble algae...you guys missed out! LOL
Mariner

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics Harry! Thanks for posting them. We had a great time. Thanks to Marc Slate from WEEC for taking time from his busy schedule to host us. Great to see everyone!
BTW, Tomoko and Bob, Marc offered to give anyone who wanted it a HUGE wad of caulerpa and bubble algae...you guys missed out! LOL
Mariner

Yep we did.

I do miss the club meetings and hope to get more active in a few months.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that I missed the meeting. I got my dates mixed up. I have to get over there and give them some coral frags - maybe in exchange for some grape caulerpa and tiny mysid shrimp if they have any.

hardimanm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...i really hated i missed it. I had my stuff loaded up and ready to go. I walked out the door and my little 2 year old daughter started getting sick all over the place. Mom had responsibilities so I had to stay home with the sick little one. Man. I hate i missed all that

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back