Aptasia and vermatid

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about a million vermatid snails and aptasia that I can’t control. I don’t see how it’s possible to beat them, I may get the ones I can see but not the ones at the back of the rocks. I feel like striping it down and starting again but how do you do that when there are corals attached to the rocks and then killing all the bacteria?

anyone else gone down this route?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the aiptasia, assuming you have corals in the tank (so no filefish), berghia nudibranchs and true peppermint shrimp are your best bet, the berghias being the most effective. You could also use some products like aiptasia X. Using a combination of all of these methods will definitely rid you of aiptasia.

For the vermetid snails: https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/vermetid-snail-removal

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem occurred by doing nothing, it can be solved by doing something. Personally if it was me, I would get a case of beer, and a bag of carbon, and I would take care of it this weekend. The solutions are all over this forum and the internet, it just requires elbow grease.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution would be berguia nudibranch and an army of bumble bee snails. If you tear it down you’ll have to dry your rock and cure it again to her rid of the aiptasia and vermitid snails. I normally prefer to introduce predators and resolve the matter that way. I would also try and feed pellets instead of frozen foods as the vermitid and aiptasia strugle to eat.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the aiptasia, assuming you have corals in the tank (so no filefish), berghia nudibranchs and true peppermint shrimp are your best bet, the berghias being the most effective. You could also use some products like aiptasia X. Using a combination of all of these methods will definitely rid you of aiptasia.

For the vermetid snails: https://aquariumstoredepot.com/blogs/news/vermetid-snail-removal
Unfortunately I am in Australia and can't get the nudibranches here for some reason. I have got 5 x peppermint shrimp from different places and they aren't interested in them

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution would be berguia nudibranch and an army of bumble bee snails. If you tear it down you’ll have to dry your rock and cure it again to her rid of the aiptasia and vermitid snails. I normally prefer to introduce predators and resolve the matter that way. I would also try and feed pellets instead of frozen foods as the vermitid and aiptasia strugle to eat.
Unfortunately I am in Australia and can't get the nudibranches or bumble bee snails. Pellets are a good idea.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This problem occurred by doing nothing, it can be solved by doing something. Personally if it was me, I would get a case of beer, and a bag of carbon, and I would take care of it this weekend. The solutions are all over this forum and the internet, it just requires elbow grease.
How would a bag of carbon help?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am in Australia and can't get the nudibranches here for some reason. I have got 5 x peppermint shrimp from different places and they aren't interested in them
Then you can try products like aiptasia X + the superglue method. Also, id ask around for bumble bee snails, im sure you get shipments from Indonesia or the Philippines.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Copperband butterfly i had from bali Indonesia devoured aiptasia

Back