Aptasia eating filefish - LA (Not eating Aptasia

Have you had an Aptasia eating filefish that eats Aptasia?

• Total voters

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening R2R,

I purchased an Aptasia eating filefish from LA and it arrived 3 weeks back. I setup a QT tank with some Liverock that was covered in Zoa’s but mostly Aptasia. I also put a frag rack that was loaded with Aptasia into the tank.

So far this Aptasia eating filefish only eats frozen brine shrimp. I’ve tried loading the Aptasia up with brine shrimp and he does pick them out but is yet to start eating Aptasia??

Has anyone else encountered this. Any suggestions on ways to get him eating Aptasia?

Is starving him out for a few days an option now that he is getting fat and happy of brine?

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they destroy Aiptasia and eat nothing else.

No they ignore Aiptasia and destroy desirable corals.

They nibble a little at Aiptasia, nibble a little at corals.

Take your pick-any may be true for any individual. Mine was in the last category, destroyed a Duncanopsammia but otherwise just a little inconsequential nibbling (at both corals and Aiptasia). Still a valued inhabitant even though she does not do her assigned job. Interesting and attractive fish.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they destroy Aiptasia and eat nothing else.

No they ignore Aiptasia and destroy desirable corals.

They nibble a little at Aiptasia, nibble a little at corals.

Take your pick-any may be true for any individual. Mine was in the last category, destroyed a Duncanopsammia but otherwise just a little inconsequential nibbling (at both corals and Aiptasia). Still a valued inhabitant even though she does not do her assigned job. Interesting and attractive fish.
See I don’t find them very attractive and they really don’t move much.

For me it’s a fish that serves a purpose, if it doesn’t it’s not one I would desire to keep long term!

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly she is not brightly colored-but mine is very good at changing from solid colors to mottled, from smooth to rough appearing, and does so constantly. Maybe I should say she has an interesting appearance rather than conventionally attractive, but that is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admittedly she is not brightly colored-but mine is very good at changing from solid colors to mottled, from smooth to rough appearing, and does so constantly. Maybe I should say she has an interesting appearance rather than conventionally attractive, but that is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.
Agreed, didn’t mean my comment in an offensive way. I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder because there are many fish others may seem not attractive that I think are gorgeous.

If the filefish makes you happy that’s great for you!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on day 3 with my aptasia eating file fish.

I have a sps tank and it hasn’t bothered any corals, but it hasn’t eaten any aptasia either!

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starving him is an option (within reason) either feed less or skip a day as he will not starve but go to a secondary food source. Some will always eat the fish food over aptasia but it is like a peppermint shrimp where some have to be enticed (hungry) to eat the aptasia. Feeding the anemone to get the fish to eat could be counterproductive as if you have any Duncans, Dendros, hammers, etc it might entice the filefish to start using those as a dinner plate once it gets into the display (what mine did eventually nipping at those as well).

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely eats aptasia, but 100% nips at sps polyps so I have no polyp extension. Also picks at the typical fleshy lps- acan, trachy, scoly etc. Definitely not the most attractive fish but…. Is unique looking I guess :grinning-face-with-sweat:

So I’m stuck. Remove him and go back to annoyingly f aptasia them or keep accepting the fact he picks at acro polyps and can’t go into a lps tank

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took about a week to start wiping out all my aptasia. I have it about six months now and it hasn’t touched any corals. I contribute that to my heavily feedings.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took about a week to start wiping out all my aptasia. I have it about six months now and it hasn’t touched any corals. I contribute that to my heavily feedings.
Thanks Mike, I threw four peppermint shrimp into the tank along with the file fish. So far, nobody has a taste for aptasia!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermints are good too..I have them in my frag tank..they’re nocturnal. I have a lot of wrasses in my DT that’s why I went with the file in there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good evening R2R,

I purchased an Aptasia eating filefish from LA and it arrived 3 weeks back. I setup a QT tank with some Liverock that was covered in Zoa’s but mostly Aptasia. I also put a frag rack that was loaded with Aptasia into the tank.

So far this Aptasia eating filefish only eats frozen brine shrimp. I’ve tried loading the Aptasia up with brine shrimp and he does pick them out but is yet to start eating Aptasia??

Has anyone else encountered this. Any suggestions on ways to get him eating Aptasia?

Is starving him out for a few days an option now that he is getting fat and happy of brine?
You want leathermat file but even so, they eat food first and maybe aptasia then turn on polyp like coral. Not always but in many cases

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well vettaguy called it. The filefish never ate any aptasia, and constantly nipped at my acros. I don’t think it did any real damage, but I lost polyp extension on many of the acros.

The filefish is in the sump now, waiting to go back to the fish store.

Best thing I can say about aptasia eating filefish is they’re pretty easy to catch!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back