Aptasia help!

Discussion in 'Middle Tennessee Reef Club' started by Chiefmaster30, May 15, 2017.

1. Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30 Well-Known Member

What does everyone do about aptasia? I've been in the hobby for almost 2 yrs. occasionally I've had or seen 1 or 2 here and there and I've been injecting them with lemon juice but lately I've been noticing a lot more of them. There are 4 or 5 that I no of right now in my dt that I can't get to to inject without rearranging half my tank. Any suggestions??

Tags:

2. Mal11224

Mal11224 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

You may need to get a file fish. They eat aiptasia. I would try my best to use aiptasia x if you can manage it.

jsker, AdamPhe and Chiefmaster30 like this.
  3. H@rry

H@rry Troll

I've had real good luck with Klien's Butterfly fish. All my aptasia was gone after 3 or 4 weeks. They will pick at corals but it does not seem to hurt them. They may be picking something off of them but not eating the coral itself. They may eat some soft coral but I can't say for sure as I don't keep softies.

Chiefmaster30 likes this.
  4. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

What about reef putty or superglue? Can you get close enough to their "holes" to plug/cover them up?

5. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

I use Peppermint shrimp almost exclusively. For the last 2 years every time aiptasia pop up I add one or two peppermint shrimp within a week or two all aiptasia are taken care of. Here a peppermint shrimp cost 8 bucks, eventually my Royal Gramma eats the shrimp. In the past I have had peppermint shrimp bother LPS and eat maxi-mini anemones, but because the Royal Gramma is in the tank now they spend very little time out and about. The other issue with shrimp is that the aiptasia are not eradicated, this is probably true with fish that eat aiptasia. Once the fish or aiptasia eathing shrimp is removed aiptasia do begin to pop up again because small pieces of tissue are left to regenerate. Long story short for the money spent versus the headache of aiptasia treatment peppermint shrimp works for me.

jsker and Chiefmaster30 like this.
  6. Ross Vandermeulen

Ross Vandermeulen Member

In the past I have used a majano wand to zap them it works well , however sometimes depending where the aiptasia are in the rock work they are hard to get at.

7. Joe's Coral Reef

Joe's Coral Reef Member

I've lived with asptasia in my current tank for 4 years. I've tried joes juice and 3 different times with berghia nudibranchs. The berghia will eliminate them, but after 6 months they always come back. It odd after the berghia appear to eliminate them all, the asptasia come back with a vengeance. I've heard peppermints will take them out, but never attempted them for the fear the peps would turn to my Frogspawn after. If it was me, I'd remove the rock and try digging the rock around them, without touching the sucker. I've learned Aptasia is one resilient little creature that's for sure, it's like the cockroach of the reef tank.

8. thunderdood

thunderdood Well-Known Member

What I've done is hit them with Joe's Juice and let it sit for 10 minutes or so then take the rock out and pick off the Apitasia with tweezers because the base of it is still on the rock and will grow back. Or taking a lighter and burning them off works as well. This process has worked for my tank. It's been about 4 years since I've seen an Apitasia in my tank.

9. John Gemmel

John Gemmel Well-Known Member

+1 on couple peppermint shrimp two keep my tank super clean of them.

code4 and Chiefmaster30 like this.
  10. Chiefmaster30

I'll tri this method, I think maybe I can reach the hole with putty!

ngoodermuth likes this.
  11. Chiefmaster30

I'll also try the peppermint shrimp method! But.. I have a royal gramma also. I currently have a coral banded shrimp and a blood red fire shrimp. Apparently they must not eat aptasia but I can say my royal gramma don't bother them.

code4 likes this.
  12. Osteoclast

Osteoclast Well-Known Member

Agree with Harry. You need a predator. Butterfly's are a great option. Have had a Klein's, Burgess, and now Tinker's. All are good with SPS and LPS. Your aptasia will be devoured rapidly.

I have tried the local and topical methods. The wand doesn't work well at all in my experience. I purchased one and it was a waste of money.

13. Chiefmaster30

I have a lot of soft coral and lps. Id be scared that a Klein Butterfly might eat my coral. But then again, aptasia overtaking my tank pretty rapidly lately could take out my entire tank also.

14. LbulletM

LbulletM Well-Known Member R2R Supporter MTRCMember Build Thread Contributor

+1 on Aiptasia X. If you follow the instructions, it works.

15. rblair

rblair Member

I was given a small tank because it had so much aptasia in the rock. The previous owner tried aptasia X but he must have done something wrong because he said he ended up with 3 times as many. I tried a kleins butterfly and peppermint shrimp but they only ate the small ones. I moved the butterfly to a different tank, it started eating my soft corals, he didn't tell me there was a pistol shrimp in there and it killed the peppermint shrimp.

Then i read about using a syringe and boiling water and directing it into the hole where the aptasia was. That worked no matter how large they were. I killed 5 or 6 a day (there were a LOT of them) for about 2 months but finally got it clean. Its been clean now for almost 8 months.

16. Tomoko Schum

Tomoko Schum Well-Known Member

I have tried all sorts of things including all of the above except for Kline's butterfly.
    The best one so far is Molly Miller Blenny IMHO.