Aptasia Invasion

fraggin corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 gallon sps tank is over run by Aptasia and I do mean over run. I estimate thousands. I was considering just breaking the tank down to clean and restart but I do not have a way to keep the sps that are in the tank. How effective would the Berghia nudis be in a reef with high flow? The fish population includes Bengaii Cardinals, Blue Chromis, and a purple pseudochromis. Any issues with these fish eating the nudis?

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a filefish? Or, a butterfly? I have one of each in my tanks and they both knocked out large infestations.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 65 gallon sps tank is over run by Aptasia and I do mean over run. I estimate thousands. I was considering just breaking the tank down to clean and restart but I do not have a way to keep the sps that are in the tank. How effective would the Berghia nudis be in a reef with high flow? The fish population includes Bengaii Cardinals, Blue Chromis, and a purple pseudochromis. Any issues with these fish eating the nudis?
Pics

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a captive bred aiptasia eating filefish from Biota in the hope it would rid my tank of aiptasia and 14 months later, he hasn't touched any.
In the last decade, I've tried 3 of them in different tanks and only one did it's job so hit or miss IME.

Oerussc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had luck with both fish. The common thought with the filefish is, they take time to get a taste for aptasia. 14 months without eating them means it’s time to go get another one. They are relatively proven to eradicate aptasia. Mine starting eating after a month and to date I have never witnessed it eat aptasia. I just know they disappeared. The butterfly is hit or miss to get them to eat to begin with AND live. This is a hard fish to acclimate to a reef tank. I got mine to eat brine shrimp in quarantine and that is all it eats from feedings. It ignores mysis and all other foods I put in the tank. I have made sure to always feed brine shrimp to it. All of my fish are quarantined prior to introduction in the community tanks.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep he was pulled out last week and a dozen peppermint shrimps went in.
FWIW, the filefish also picked at SPS ;Facepalm

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I had to pull a Mystery and Orange back at the same time before the peps went in.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the OP:
I asked a question about Berghia a while back also trying to see how they would do in a tank with powerheads and whether they go down overflow grates and most of the answers I received was that the larger ones do okay but a few answers were they never saw the Berghias again.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghias can’t get every where in super flow..8” from a mp10 on a rock, nope….they do go down drain and in power heads as well as lps eat them sometimes, lobo I’m talking to you…
I think the bigger the tank the better, in the nano they seem to end up in my pumps quickly as they don’t have to go far

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back