Aptasia is getting the better of me! Genuinely considering giving up :-(

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....as the title suggests, aptasia has really got me to the edge of giving it up.
I’ve been battling this for about 1+1/2 years.
Aptasia X is no longer ‘working’ in that, I’ve WAY too many aptasia to know where to start. They’re now stinging my SPS corals. ☹
I’m limited to how I can eradicate these as I’ve
30 Litre (8gallon) nano reef, with 5kg of live rock, therefore can not put any large fish in that eat aptasia.

Peppermint shrimp- due to the size of the tank, I thought that one would do the job?; turns out that they hunt aptasia in packs and I’d need a minimum of 3 ? (Please correct me if I’m wrong here, but this is what I’ve read up) I’ve not got a shrimp for this reason, also 3 In a tank this size wouldn’t be fair on the shrimp.
nudibranches are next to impossible to find in the UK !

if anyone has any suggestions to get rid of these please, it would be much appreciated. I’m hoping that I’m wrong about the peppermint shrimp thing, and that I’ll be fine to get 1 or2 to do the job.
Thanks all
Emma xx

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most success I have had is peppermint shrimp. Tried berghia few times over the years but shrimp worked well every system. I don’t know if 1 is enough, I get several but I don’t think you need more than one. I feed the tank very light with them. They will eat aptasia when hungry, just need to make them hungry not feed them until they start eating aptasia.

Never had any eat coral in around 10 years of having them. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but didn’t to me.

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most success I have had is peppermint shrimp. Tried berghia few times over the years but shrimp worked well every system. I don’t know if 1 is enough, I get several but I don’t think you need more than one. I feed the tank very light with them. They will eat aptasia when hungry, just need to make them hungry not feed them until they start eating aptasia.

Never had any eat coral in around 10 years of having them. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, but didn’t to me.
I genuinely think a peppermint shrimp is my only option at the moment. I just hope they don’t eat my corals :oops:!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking is you are spending a lot of time on the current rock and tank. It might be an option to buy a new tank and new rock. Cycle that with a small powerhead. Then move over your corals a few at a time, being sure remove the corals form any plug or rock and dipping them to kill off the aptasia. You can reuse your old equipment after soaking and cleaning in bleach.
If not get some P shrimp to help with the issue. they will only eat small ones so you will still need to kill off the big ones. When the shrimp are done trade them to the LFS.

OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
E

Emma01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine ate all the aiptasia then went for my torch.
Oh no! that’s all I’d need!
with the ‘lemon juice’ people have mentioned. Is this just the standard lemon juice you can purchase from grocery stores?

K95ranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I put I a few peppermint shrimp and they resolved my problem. I haven't seen them go after my corals but when they do I will take them to my lfs and problem solved.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all nano reefs can be quickly cleared of aiptasia

its not by doing anything with the rock in the tank

its by taking the rock out, with corals, and removing sips by chiseling exactly from up under and simply removing them. The corals aren't harmed by air contact, the rocks, it doesn't recycle, none of it.

You'd be surprised how much people will hold onto aiptasia though it can be cleared this way, in the end Im not sure we're ready to let go of it. People demand work without having to remove stuff. right before you shut down, lets clear the aiptasia this way. this is the right way to start with so the tank never gets taken over. holler if you want it cleared, takes an hour or so.

whats the difference between clearing a nano of aiptasia vs a normal sized tank? excuses.

we get 100% more access excuses from large tank owners. I can't, fill in your rationale for keeping them.

nanos=I can access, ergo aiptasia can be eliminated day 1. Most just don't know about the surgical option, they choose methods that spread them. Its flat out easy to rid them once and for all. most simply will not, same with GHA etc. hesitation is what they need, and some mode of import :)

easy fix here/alert ha nice.
B

Last edited:

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....as the title suggests, aptasia has really got me to the edge of giving it up.
I’ve been battling this for about 1+1/2 years.
Aptasia X is no longer ‘working’ in that, I’ve WAY too many aptasia to know where to start. They’re now stinging my SPS corals. ☹
I’m limited to how I can eradicate these as I’ve
30 Litre (8gallon) nano reef, with 5kg of live rock, therefore can not put any large fish in that eat aptasia.

Peppermint shrimp- due to the size of the tank, I thought that one would do the job?; turns out that they hunt aptasia in packs and I’d need a minimum of 3 ? (Please correct me if I’m wrong here, but this is what I’ve read up) I’ve not got a shrimp for this reason, also 3 In a tank this size wouldn’t be fair on the shrimp.
nudibranches are next to impossible to find in the UK !

if anyone has any suggestions to get rid of these please, it would be much appreciated. I’m hoping that I’m wrong about the peppermint shrimp thing, and that I’ll be fine to get 1 or2 to do the job.
Thanks all
Emma xx
I think I would give 1-2 a try. It can't hurt! Don't give up! Sorry about your troubles! Wishing you luck!

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success with 1 peppermit shrimp. However, i've heard they are hit and miss...and 100% eat coral eventually.

Peppermint shrimp is a common name for several shrimp. They are very hard to tell the difference. The ones out of Florida will eat apatosa and leave corals alone. I had mine for 3 years and they have never touched a coral.

When you buy them simple ask where they came from. If they can’t answer or simple don’t know don’t buy them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back