One year in and now APTASIA?

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my waterbox cube 20 for almost one year now, have several corals, and a couple of fun clowns. Today,while doing my daily 30 min stare/trance at my tank, noticed 2 Aptasia growing on my rock. I’ve always been told that aptasia are one of those things where, “you see one, but you can’t see the 30 more growing where you cannot see”. So I’m hoping for some advice.
1) should I remove my corals from my established live rock and reglue onto dry rock or would this screw up my bacterial populations?
2) should I get a few Burghia nudibranchs and let them run wild?
3) is aptasia X or F Aptasia even an option at this point?

I would like to avoid the shrimp solution as I understand that they are only partially successful, and will only eat “some” of the aptasia.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get F aiptasia. If you find more, try the peppermint shrimp species algaebarn sells

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my waterbox cube 20 for almost one year now, have several corals, and a couple of fun clowns. Today,while doing my daily 30 min stare/trance at my tank, noticed 2 Aptasia growing on my rock. I’ve always been told that aptasia are one of those things where, “you see one, but you can’t see the 30 more growing where you cannot see”. So I’m hoping for some advice.
1) should I remove my corals from my established live rock and reglue onto dry rock or would this screw up my bacterial populations?

I would like to avoid the shrimp solution as I understand that they are only partially successful, and will only eat “some” of the aptasia.
I have gone both shrimp and nudibranch. Both worked great. Nudibranch die when there are no more aptaisia. My shrimp are still patrolling my tank. I got a copperband, did not touch my aptaisia.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you've gone this long without seeing them, they may not be the fast spreading kind.

I have had excellent results when using Aiptasia-X... you just have to let the nem close over the end of the "needle" and inject until you see a "poof". My last step, right after the poof, is to suck the now-gooey nem back into the syringe.

pezgal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know you want to avoid the peppermint shrimp solution but honestly they have been super helpful to me. In general shrimp are really good at keeping things clean and tidy and it really slows glass anemones down when there is little in the way of extra food extra left over for them. Haven't had problems with them actively eating any coral in my tank just occasionally so ravenous they take food right out of the mouths of slower feeders so I hang out and haze them away from the slo-pokes while they eat. Peps won't completely eradicate the pest anemones but they do help control the numbers. And shrimps have fun personalities so for me they are a win/win.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back