Aptasia long term?

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank has been up and running for almost 3 months now. (Red Sea 525, 140gl). So far so good. This time around I decided to start with real ocean live rock. Was on the fence about that and knew the risks but figured the benefit outweighed them. (I mean, pests can come in on frags too). Today I saw 2 baby aptasia growing on my sand. First time in my 12 years of reefing. Ugh. It was easy enough to remove..just took a cup and scooped it out with the sand underneath as not to disturb the aptasia and cause it to spread little aptasia spores all over my tank.

My question is this…am I destined for more little happy surprises in the future now that I already have it in my tank? Anyone with experience removing aptasia and never saw a reoccurrence? Or is this a battle I’m going to be fighting for a bit? I know there are some natural predators I can add (filefish, peppermint shrimp, nudis)..but wasn’t part of my stocking list plan. Of course plans change, especially in reef keeping. Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have experience with aptasia.

bluerider098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tank has been up and running for almost 3 months now. (Red Sea 525, 140gl). So far so good. This time around I decided to start with real ocean live rock. Was on the fence about that and knew the risks but figured the benefit outweighed them. (I mean, pests can come in on frags too). Today I saw 2 baby aptasia growing on my sand. First time in my 12 years of reefing. Ugh. It was easy enough to remove..just took a cup and scooped it out with the sand underneath as not to disturb the aptasia and cause it to spread little aptasia spores all over my tank.

My question is this…am I destined for more little happy surprises in the future now that I already have it in my tank? Anyone with experience removing aptasia and never saw a reoccurrence? Or is this a battle I’m going to be fighting for a bit? I know there are some natural predators I can add (filefish, peppermint shrimp, nudis)..but wasn’t part of my stocking list plan. Of course plans change, especially in reef keeping. Just wanted to get some feedback from those who have experience with aptasia.
I've had some show up on LPS skeleton and I superglued over where they were in the skeleton.

I've not had a reoccurrence, but having it on the liverock may not be as simple as there's many more places to hide Just watch it closely and manage it as you see it.

Many people have successful tanks living with them. It's just something you have to manage

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back