Aptasia Remedy

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple nice size Aiptasia Anemones that i want to kill. I only have about 5 i can notice now. I would like everyones input on getting rid of them. i have the aiptasia control. Used it once , but don't really want to use it again in my system. I have read about lemon juice working? Any input on how to safely remove these would be great. Thanks All

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small syringe I got at the farmers co-op,{.79cents} and use straight lemon juice, I insert the needle into the aptasia and barely squeeze a little into it, if you see a little bit coming out into the water, stop. next day aptasia dead missing in acton etc, I have had better luck with the juice you get in the little plastic lemon juice things {$ 1.29} in the produce dept. I used the "real Lemon Juices" in the glass bottle last trip, I had to redose a couple the next day, but no biggie. I have also heard of really hot boiling water in the syringe and injecting it, then using a bigger syringe sucking it out. but I have not tried this yet. lemon works good for me.

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the feedback , anyone else have experience with the lemon juice method or any other methods ? thanks

ucantmakeme

Green Tips save lives
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microwave white vinegar till its boiling and inject them with a needle. They instantly melt and you can practically hear them screaming in agony as they dissolve into nothing.

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
peppermints work. as does having really clean water.

i've tried joe's juice, stop aiptasia, aiptasia x, kalk, and boiling water. they kill the polyp but any left over tissue will recolonize your system. they have a defense mechanism that spreads it all over in order to ensure survival.

tjm350z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used the kalk paste kast night with hot water ..and it was th best thing to happen ive have joes juice, apit.x and a peppermint , also a cooperband ..and none worked half as good to the kalk paste

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do i go about with the kalk paste? What kind ? How much? Also , using white vinegar in the tank won't cause any problems?

Deahtop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
find a copperband that you can get to eat and youll be a made man

tjm350z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you buy the kalk powder at your lfs and just mix some in with hot water and spray right on them ..it is not meant for this as it will make your levels go up such as cal. so i only do it like once a wk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used all the methods, but Pepp shrimp seem to do the trick every time. :)

rebecca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our pep shrimps turned into cannibals as soon as our aptasia were dead. we swear by kalk. less stupid critters to worry about the better.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did your pepps eat?

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 20 of them and not one moved from this cave. I think my melanarus wrasse picked them all off. I dont have him anymore but im sure my fu man chu or my marine betta would love some fresh meat lol

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on peppermint shrimp eating coral. i have heard bad stories. i want to go the kalk route. still need to know if i need to inject them or just feed over top of them.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back