I need help Eliminating Aiptasia.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some aiptasia in my tank for the past few months and haven’t done anything about it. They have grown a lot and I think it is time to deal with them before they get out of control. I don’t have much space in my tank to add a fish that eats them. I have tried the berghia nudibranch but they didn’t do anything. What’s the next step? I have heard that lemon juice works but I don’t know how to do it. The aiptasia is on 2 rocks with zoas.

What do y’all recommend?

Thanks

IMG_2726.jpeg IMG_2727.jpeg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with them the first time I see them they reproduce way to fast, I've always had success with kalkwasser in a thick paste with r.o in a syringe with out the needle, kill the flow and slowly drop it in thier mouth.

works great and cheap, do a few a day, you can use an air hose or dosing tube and suck out the kalk and dead aiptasia after it melts.

good luck

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some aiptasia in my tank for the past few months and haven’t done anything about it. They have grown a lot and I think it is time to deal with them before they get out of control. I don’t have much space in my tank to add a fish that eats them. I have tried the berghia nudibranch but they didn’t do anything. What’s the next step? I have heard that lemon juice works but I don’t know how to do it. The aiptasia is on 2 rocks with zoas.

What do y’all recommend?

Thanks

IMG_2726.jpeg IMG_2727.jpeg
No experience with hem, but I have read that you can put very hot water in a syringe and inject them. Also lemon juice in a syringe. Or take the rock out, if possible, and remove them that way.

anoldreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lemon juice works great. Pick up one of little jugs at the grocery and a hypodermic syringe from the pharmacy.
Load in the juice and give them a shot, cheap and works great.
However you probably have tiny ones that you can't see yet.
If they return pick up a file fish. I had a terrible outbreak in my 225, one little dude has them in check after a month.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like F Aiptasia. Works really well. When it’s too close to corals or in between corals, like Zoas, I just glue them down.
I can try some clue.
Should I just take the 2 rocks with zoas out of the water and put glue over the aiptasia?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take rock out and inject with lemon juice or boiling water
When I use the lemon juice do I want to inject the needle into the aiptasia?
Will getting lemon juice on the zoas and tank cause problems?

J.chemicals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser paste works well. Be careful not to kill all aptasia at once. And make sure you blow off any residue that land on any corals.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that worked for me sustainably is a File fish. It does limit some of my coral options but I'd rather not have aptasia and give up acans and blastos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back