Aqua Illumination - what happened?!?

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what happened to the AI lighting schedules?

I have been using the same schedule for almost a year now....my corals have been growing extremely well. Well, few weeks ago, I noticed things weren't looking so great. I test my tank often and parameters were spot on. No issues.

Looked at my lighting and for some reason, my 3x 32 Hyrdas - were not running the light strengths, that my schedule was set it. I tried to playing around with things, but the UV and Violet, would not exceed a certain %. I know when I setup them up, they were running fine. I added another Hydra a month or so ago, and now...it seems I can't set my schedule properly.

I checked my other tank, that runs a single 16HD - and the settings on that tank, allowed the UV/Violet to hit maximum output - 167%.

Any ideas?!?

2021-02-15 13.56.02.jpg 2021-02-15 13.47.48.jpg

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They put out an update to limit the power due to lenses melting. Checked mine after I seen all the reports and sure enough they were. AI was extremely fast to answer my email and took care of it right away
335B47D9-5285-485A-B15E-19656DC06DAA.jpeg

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious??

My tank has been running the same schedule for a while now...and they go and limit my lights?

I'd heard rumors....of lens melting, due to people blasting their UV for long periods of time. BRS recommended some crazy....8hr UV blasting or something.....‍

I mean - ok, fine. Don't run a long program and melt the lens...my lenses are absolutely fine - always have been. Why limit my lights?!

Well, guess that explains why my corals are looking less than impressed. Wow....so, now I'm stuck with weaker lights - I got these lights because I could run them how "i" choose.....my schedule was working outstandingly - has been for a long time.

I want my UV back - this is extremely uncool.

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So m wait how did you determine your lights weren’t running at it’s full strength? Only asking because I run the Hydra 32’s. Did you test the par and it was different? Or did it manually change on your settings? You might’ve said already - I kind of skimmed through the post. Thanks!

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So m wait how did you determine your lights weren’t running at it’s full strength? Only asking because I run the Hydra 32’s. Did you test the par and it was different? Or did it manually change on your settings? You might’ve said already - I kind of skimmed through the post. Thanks!
Look at my post pics.

The UV/Violet spectrums.....literally, won't run the schedule I've been using for nearly a year.

My UV/Violet hit a peak of 167% - I added a 3rd Hydra......just before Xmas.....suddenly noticed, things weren't growing as well.

Man....im not happy.

Like putting a governor on everyone's car - just because a few people speed and cause accidents.

I had 2 Hydras + the 16HD going.....but I upgraded the Prime to another Hydra.

The Prime now runs on a different tank...and DOES peak the UV to 167%. The Hydras....will not now

20210101_144458.jpg

animatedcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at my post pics.

The UV/Violet spectrums.....literally, won't run the schedule I've been using for nearly a year.

My UV/Violet hit a peak of 167% - I added a 3rd Hydra......just before Xmas.....suddenly noticed, things weren't growing as well.

Man....im not happy.

Like putting a governor on everyone's car - just because a few people speed and cause accidents.

I had 2 Hydras + the 16HD going.....but I upgraded the Prime to another Hydra.

The Prime now runs on a different tank...and DOES peak the UV to 167%. The Hydras....will not now

20210101_144458.jpg
What the heck - so why did they do this?? Did you reach out to them??

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They put out an update to limit the power due to lenses melting. Checked mine after I seen all the reports and sure enough they were. AI was extremely fast to answer my email and took care of it right away
335B47D9-5285-485A-B15E-19656DC06DAA.jpeg
Took care of it how? I haven’t done the update because I’m scared of not getting what I want out of these lights.

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the heck - so why did they do this?? Did you reach out to them??
I just sent them a message.

I have been running my 2 hydras (with the Prime) since July. I added another Hydra, cause my tank was loving the lights.

Been noticing the last little while.....corals are looking as happy.

It makes no sense....now what? Sell my hydras and run 6x 16HDs?!?! Lol ‍

I guess I can lower the lights...closer to water - but this is extremely stupid. To LIMIT my lights...

Stable lighting is so important.... :(

OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick snap of my tank now...

Had NO issues with the 2 Hydras.....wonder if there's a way to roll back this update?!?! Ugh....so mad! Lol

Don't even know what to say to AI support now.

Attachments

• 20210215_143559.jpg
    20210215_143559.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
DarthChaos

DarthChaos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took care of it how? I haven’t done the update because I’m scared of not getting what I want out of these lights.
I'm guessing replaced the lenses.

I'd heard lots of people burning out the lenses......blasting UV too long - lens melting.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing replaced the lenses.

I'd heard lots of people burning out the lenses......blasting UV too long - lens melting.
Oh I misread his reply. Thought they helped with the update and not being able to crank them up as high. They helped with lenses now I see that.

Heck I’d rather run my light higher where I want them and replace the lenses every year for $3 a piece instead of doing the update.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there has been many discussions about this for the past last month on their facebook page.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious??

My tank has been running the same schedule for a while now...and they go and limit my lights?

I'd heard rumors....of lens melting, due to people blasting their UV for long periods of time. BRS recommended some crazy....8hr UV blasting or something.....‍

I mean - ok, fine. Don't run a long program and melt the lens...my lenses are absolutely fine - always have been. Why limit my lights?!

Well, guess that explains why my corals are looking less than impressed. Wow....so, now I'm stuck with weaker lights - I got these lights because I could run them how "i" choose.....my schedule was working outstandingly - has been for a long time.

Would you rather melted lenses?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you serious??

I had the lense melt on an AI prime HD before. This is an issue they seem to have had for a while now.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent them a message.

I have been running my 2 hydras (with the Prime) since July. I added another Hydra, cause my tank was loving the lights.

Been noticing the last little while.....corals are looking as happy.

It makes no sense....now what? Sell my hydras and run 6x 16HDs?!?! Lol ‍

I guess I can lower the lights...closer to water - but this is extremely stupid. To LIMIT my lights...

Stable lighting is so important.... :(
Add a reefbrite xho k series
B0B95A5E-EB1D-4271-8E0A-C6F6DD33BD26.jpeg

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you rather melted lenses?
Replacement lenses are only $3 and to severely limit their users to not be able to run the previous schedules mean you are now stuck with a piece of equipment that you didn’t pay for! In my mind this is an unnecessary step and they should have done something else.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back