Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage vs Classic

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Considering UV Sterilizer for 57 gallon tank + 13 gallon tank build. I am trying to figure out what the differences between the Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 15 watt and the Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 15 watt sterilizers are.

I see the classic is bigger and the Advantage has a smaller one-piece body. Any benefit to paying more for the classic? It seems the bigger body will increase dwell time, however, the tank is right on the threshold between the 8 watt and 15 watt so does going with the 15 advantage make sense?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. Saves some money too!

I noticed BRS only sells the hang on version of the 15 watt advantage, so I didn’t know if there was a reason they opted to stock the classic over the advantage other than more money.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS used to sell the 8 Watt Classic for 169, boy these things have gone up in price. I have the 8 watt classic with the wiper, the 15 watt advantage and the 25 watt classic non wiper.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Aqua Warehouse in Kearny Mesa Ca, they are a LFS with an online presence, they have all the bits for the Aqua units, but unfortunealy they have had to raise there prices as well. Dang Covid.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LFS used to sell the 8 Watt Classic for 169, boy these things have gone up in price. I have the 8 watt classic with the wiper, the 15 watt advantage and the 25 watt classic non wiper.
Just curious how you mounted yours. I didn't even realize when I ordered it that it doesn't seem to come with any sort of hanging brackets. Or do you have the hang on version?

I saw the neat aquatics clamps on the BRS site, but they are pretty expensive and I believe too big for this sterilizer. It also seems to have a tapered body from the pictures, so I might need two different clamps or at least some sort of adjustable mounting system.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 25 watt classic in still in the box, like I said they are tough to install and yes you might have to buy brackets, my knee has gone out so I cannot install it, sometimes I think of a ghetto install above the tank with the pump in the tank. The advantage are easy to install, I wish they had the return nozzle turned at a 45 degrees instead of straight down but it is manageable.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotcha. I bought the barb x barb advantage model because I heard the return nozzle on the hang on model can be loud since it’s typically well above the water line.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know they had a barb to barb option, that is a nice update. Did you get a DC pump to run it?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Game plan A is going to be to hook it to the manifold and power it by the SDC 6.0 return pump. If I can’t get that to work then I’m going to use a Sicce 1.5 pump dedicated to it.

Back