Aqua Ultraviolet Twist or Pentair

WTJReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding the Aqua Ultraviolet twist vs the Pentair UV steriliser.

Im new to the hobby and in the process of cycling my aquarium. I had Ich run through my Nano reef tank before I even got to the point of adding coral and I'm intent on doing my best to keep it out of my new 326L tank. Running Quarantine with Copper but wanted to double up on the prevention.

Ive done some of my own research but it seems Pentair doesn't publish a dose rate for white spot/Ich until the 40W unit. My local fish store recommend the 57W Aqua twist and have basically told me Pentair are garbage in comparison, not efficient on space and I wont be able to get the bulbs. They don't stock Pentair so that may be factoring. The smallest pentair unit that publishes a dose rate for white spot is the 40W and it is 112cm - i.e wont fit in my cabinet which is what I'm going for. The 40W pentair is $650 but the 57W aqua twist is close to 1k. Im told the aqua twist is much better at eradication owing to the rotation of the water around the bulb and is smaller. Im confused as BRS recommends Pentair, but maybe Aqua Ultraviolet not a big deal over in the US.

I want to run the unit in line with the return pump averaging around 3000LPH to get adequate flow.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/experience on either? Do I really need the 57W Aqua twist for my tank volume if I'm looking at parasite prevention/management? Or can I opt for a smaller unit?

Cheers,

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off UVs will not prevent or eradicate crypto (ich). Do not rely on a UV for parasite control, use proper quarantine procedures.

Both units are good. Pentair assumes a much higher dose or UVc for Protozoa control than aquaUV. AquaUV thinks that the dose can be much lower hence the higher recommend flow rates. That doesn’t mean aquaUV is better. I prefer Pentair.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are regarding the Aqua Ultraviolet twist vs the Pentair UV steriliser.

Im new to the hobby and in the process of cycling my aquarium. I had Ich run through my Nano reef tank before I even got to the point of adding coral and I'm intent on doing my best to keep it out of my new 326L tank. Running Quarantine with Copper but wanted to double up on the prevention.

Ive done some of my own research but it seems Pentair doesn't publish a dose rate for white spot/Ich until the 40W unit. My local fish store recommend the 57W Aqua twist and have basically told me Pentair are garbage in comparison, not efficient on space and I wont be able to get the bulbs. They don't stock Pentair so that may be factoring. The smallest pentair unit that publishes a dose rate for white spot is the 40W and it is 112cm - i.e wont fit in my cabinet which is what I'm going for. The 40W pentair is $650 but the 57W aqua twist is close to 1k. Im told the aqua twist is much better at eradication owing to the rotation of the water around the bulb and is smaller. Im confused as BRS recommends Pentair, but maybe Aqua Ultraviolet not a big deal over in the US.

I want to run the unit in line with the return pump averaging around 3000LPH to get adequate flow.

Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/experience on either? Do I really need the 57W Aqua twist for my tank volume if I'm looking at parasite prevention/management? Or can I opt for a smaller unit?

Cheers,
I hadn't heard of the brand, but looking at the specs online, you'd have to run at under 1,300 litre per hour for Ich management.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twist is probably a gimmick since it sounds like all it does is reduce flow rate which can be accomplished other ways. And lower flow rate just means you treat less water. The overall UV dose is the same. The only concern is that flow rate isn't too slow because if it's too low you don't get any benefit from overdosing an already killed organism.

I doubt either company makes their own bulbs. They probably just have their logos etched on the glass. Aqua UV's standard ballasts are also fully enclosed and potted so you can't replace them with a much cheaper generic ballast. They're also prone to overheating and failure.

Aqua UV was cheaper years ago. Now, not so much.

OP
OP
WTJReef

WTJReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off UVs will not prevent or eradicate crypto (ich). Do not rely on a UV for parasite control, use proper quarantine procedures.

Both units are good. Pentair assumes a much higher dose or UVc for Protozoa control than aquaUV. That doesn’t mean aquaUV is better. I prefer Pentair.
Thanks. My quarantine at present is 1 week observation followed by 4 weeks Copper or other treatment as needed. I have two separate 40L tanks set up for this. As I said just looking to double up on the prevention.

Oz_Puffy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Where did you finish up on this decision? I’m looking at the 57W Twist also & trying to decide.

OP
OP
WTJReef

WTJReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mate,

My wife and I have just found out we are expecting our first so this has been on the back burner since the post - That being said, I have decided to go ahead with the aqua twist 57W simply because the unit is smaller, yet more powerful, and is a more economical use of space in my cabinet. The Pentair 40W is physically HUGE for my cabinet.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back