Aqua UV 25w and 57w

debug3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I am planning to add a UV light and Aqua uv has a smaller footprint.
One thing I noticed is 25w and 57w have exactly the same dimension except different lamp and transformer(ballast).

Anyone has experience if a 25w lamp can be installed in 57w unite? Suppose the 25w will just draw less amp, so a 57w transformer will serve 25w lamp well?
I'd like to purchase a 57w for further proof, but now a 25w lamp is good for me.
Thanks to share any thoughts.

OP
OP
D

debug3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, seems like 25w + a new 57w transformer cost less than a new 57w...

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you can use a 25w bulb with a 57w transformer or vice versa. The company support is very helpful so you should get a definite response if you called them.

But the 2 use the same housing and can be changed... you just need to get the corresponding transformer for the bulb used.

OP
OP
D

debug3000

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you can use a 25w bulb with a 57w transformer or vice versa. The company support is very helpful so you should get a definite response if you called them.

But the 2 use the same housing and can be changed... you just need to get the corresponding transformer for the bulb used.
I called Aqua, but someone is not happy to answer my question. Just told me not try anything not matched and refused to explain. Maybe I should let him know I have some EE background :)

NYCMAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and lots of experience with them on my reef tank. Also use them on my pond (larger wattage) and freshwater tanks (smaller wattage). The casing, sleeve, PVC are all entirely interchangeable. I originally got the 57W, thought it was too powerful, and so bought a 25W bulb and transformer. Worked fine. I am now back to the 57W, running the water through it a bit faster, and with a plumbing setup (returning it to the sump via PVC) where I can measure the exact flow. I also got an extra sleeve to allow swapping it out and cleaning it more convenient. Also, the built in sleeve cleaner device is useless, quickly becoming difficult to move. Better to do it manually. Finally, weekly or so I would crank up the volume through the UV canister to flush out salt creep and other stuff that accumulates with the slow flow.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the same unit with the difference of the bulb and ballast, I have both.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back