Protein Skimmer and UV Sterilizer Compatibility?

AndroidDoes

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2025
Messages
18
Reaction score
6
Location
West Hills
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I desperately need help. My LFS and I are both defeated and can't figure out what's going on. I started a new setup using a Red Sea ReefRun 8000 pump for the return and Red Sea DC 600 Protein Skimmer on the same Dual Controller. I have the Aqua UV Classic 57w sterilizer plumbed to the ReefRun 8000 pump. All devices are plugged into the Apex EB832 energy bar and the EB832 is plugged into a surge protector. I recently turned on the UV sterilizer and noticed that the performance of the protein skimmer has dropped by half and sometimes shuts off randomly. Nothing has changed except for turning the UV sterilizer on.
Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
- Tried a different UV ballast/transformer
- Plugged the skimmer and UV into different wall outlets in different rooms to rule out the EB832 (skimmer still shuts down)
- Used a second controller and connected the return pump into controller and the skimmer in different controller and had the UV on (skimmer still shuts down)
The only time I can get the UV and skimmer to work correctly together is when the return pump is not connected to the controller. I can really use help.

Thank you in advance.
 
The controller is overloaded or defective to be acting this way. It may be dangerous to continue using it in this way.
Otherwise, I got nothing. Don't burn down the house. I suspect you are way overloaded on this. GL.
 
Odd. Are you monitoring the power use of the 832? Say what you will about Apex, but the power monitoring/usage is pretty good. Maybe that would shed some light. Another thought, I upgraded to a reefrun 12000 and used the same powerbrick from the previous reefrun. Pump wouldn’t turn back on after maintenance a few weeks ago. Swapped the brick and all was well. I’m not sure about plugging the 832 into a surge protector either. Sorry no firm solution, there’s a defect somewhere.
1757073860709.png
 
Last edited:
The controller is overloaded or defective to be acting this way. It may be dangerous to continue using it in this way.
Otherwise, I got nothing. Don't burn down the house. I suspect you are way overloaded on this. GL.
I hear you. I've also swapped the controller for a different controller and still the same issue. Red Sea replied and asked me to alternate the T cables and power supply (one at a time) from the return and skimmer to see if I can isolate the hardware.
 
Odd. Are you monitoring the power use of the 832? Say what you will about Apex, but the power monitoring/usage is pretty good. Maybe that would shed some light. Another thought, I upgraded to a reefrun 12000 and used the same powerbrick from the previous reefrun. Pump wouldn’t turn back on after maintenance a few weeks ago. Swapped the brick and all was well. I’m not sure about plugging the 832 into a surge protector either. Sorry no firm solution, there’s a defect somewhere.
1757073860709.png
I did hear back from Red Sea today and one of the troubleshooting steps they recommended was to swap T cables and power supplies (one at a time) between the return pump and skimmer to see if we can isolate the issue. Maybe it's the power supply brick like you were suggesting? Numbers look normal on the EB832. Voltage is under 120 and I'm using very little wattage and amps (since I haven't introduced corals yet my lights are at 10%). When setting the two LEDs to 100%, Red Sea equipment works fine....until UV is plugged in (any outlet).....sorry for the long story, I thought maybe if I am detailed it can help find a solution.
 
If you're running a UV with Red Sea equipment connected to a controller, can you tell me if the UV ballast/transformer is near the controller? I read another thread here that someone's Tunze ATO sensor was having electric interference from their Aqua UV. They exchanged it for a Red Sea ATO and they have no issues.
 
If you're running a UV with Red Sea equipment connected to a controller, can you tell me if the UV ballast/transformer is near the controller? I read another thread here that someone's Tunze ATO sensor was having electric interference from their Aqua UV. They exchanged it for a Red Sea ATO and they have no issues.
I mean in this super frustrating situation that has you grasping for straws I wouldn’t rule anything out. My aqua Ultra 25 ballast is outside the cabinet about 3’ from controller. It’s not the RS Skimmer throttling back due over skim right or cup being full right? (Just checking boxes)
 
I mean in this super frustrating situation that has you grasping for straws I wouldn’t rule anything out. My aqua Ultra 25 ballast is outside the cabinet about 3’ from controller. It’s not the RS Skimmer throttling back due over skim right or cup being full right? (Just checking boxes)
My ballast is in the same vicinity as the controller, I would say a foot apart inside the cabinet. No, not due to over skimmering or full cup. But it is behaving like it is due to those reasons. I also turned off the skimmer sensor in case there was interference to the sensor.
 
My ballast is in the same vicinity as the controller, I would say a foot apart inside the cabinet. No, not due to over skimmering or full cup. But it is behaving like it is due to those reasons. I also turned off the skimmer sensor in case there was interference to the sensor.
I can’t wrap my feeble mind around the ballast potentially affecting the output of the controller that would in turn affect the skimmer. i got nothin else on what would mess up a DC skimmer pump
 
Update:
I have decided to turn off the skimmer pump for now and leave the UV running for the meantime. And not only does the skimmer throttle down and randomly shut off when I did have them both on together, but now for the last couple of days since I've decided to turn off the skimmer pump, it's randomly powering ON! I am not kidding.
 
Curious when you say you plug into a different wall outlets in another room where those two outlets on the same circuit. Or was each device on a different circuit
 
Curious when you say you plug into a different wall outlets in another room where those two outlets on the same circuit. Or was each device on a different circuit
I don't know for sure. But I did plug it in the bathroom outlet and a bedroom outlet. If those aren't on different circuits then I don't know what is.
 
Update:
I have decided to turn off the skimmer pump for now and leave the UV running for the meantime. And not only does the skimmer throttle down and randomly shut off when I did have them both on together, but now for the last couple of days since I've decided to turn off the skimmer pump, it's randomly powering ON! I am not kidding.
That piece of equipment seems to be demon possessed! I would either return it to the LFS, or put it in the backyard burn pile for "purification", but in some way I would get it out of your life before it starts talking to you in your sleep.

john cho horror GIF by The Exorcist FOX


At the risk of sounding crazy, or at least repetitive, I would unplug it to reduce the risk of auto-ignition after it self starts. 😉🙃
 
That piece of equipment seems to be demon possessed! I would either return it to the LFS, or put it in the backyard burn pile for "purification", but in some way I would get it out of your life before it starts talking to you in your sleep.

john cho horror GIF by The Exorcist FOX


At the risk of sounding crazy, or at least repetitive, I would unplug it to reduce the risk of auto-ignition after it self starts. 😉🙃
I turned off the UV and left the skimmer on as a precaution.
 
Update: I was able to borrow the Aqua UV 8 watt classic sterilizer. I plugged it into the same power surge as all the other devices as well a different outlet and skimmer is working normally. 8 watts is a little too low for what I need so I will be trying the 25 watt unit to see if it works and go from there to try and find the sweet spot. I don't mind going lower in wattage since I'm trying to achieve a lower flow rate anyways.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new