AquaBiomics Test results

Nomorenames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have received my 2nd test result from Aquabiomics. The 1st one I did when the tank was set up for ~5 months. It was lacking almost all necessary bacteria and microorganisms. I really think getting the right mix of good bacteria and microorganisms is the difference between a good and awesome tank. Given what I have seen in my own tank. While my test result from the 2nd test showed improvement I still have some issues. I have attached the report for some help. I got an email from Eli from Aquabiomics which gave me some insight but not really what I can do to correct any issues. One part of the email was concerning....
" The most interesting finding was the presence of two suspected coral pathogens associated with coral disease. These are though to act as a group, rather than individually, so finding more than one of them in the tank is worth making a note of. And one of these is pretty rare, showing up in only ~1% of tanks. I see you've noted coral disease issues in sample registration - I think these may be worth considering as possible causes. "...
This was concerning to me. I am not sure how to treat for this pathogen, what it is or if there is anything I can do anyway. In the meantime my corals are slowly dying it seems. I have started to dose Dr Tims waste away for 2 weeks. Now I started dosing Vibrant on my 3rd dose. Things look slightly better but the corals are still struggling. I am like a lot of people on the wait list for their reef rubble. I am at a loss for my next steps possibly add sand/rubble from the beach??? It seems I could be adding more problems that way as well. LFS rubble maybe, just buy more frags lol.. I don't really know. So I am asking the internet once again what I should do :). (BTW last time I asked the internet what to do it didn't go well for me soooo...go easy! ;Joyful)

https://aquabiomics.com/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/reports/nomorenames/1000511_tankDNA.html

I would recommend Aquabiomics 100%. If you have questions or want to know about any of this stuff. I think their report and their service is great. I am just asking for a little help on this certain circumstance.

Thanks,

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I have received my 2nd test result from Aquabiomics. The 1st one I did when the tank was set up for ~5 months. It was lacking almost all necessary bacteria and microorganisms. I really think getting the right mix of good bacteria and microorganisms is the difference between a good and awesome tank. Given what I have seen in my own tank. While my test result from the 2nd test showed improvement I still have some issues. I have attached the report for some help. I got an email from Eli from Aquabiomics which gave me some insight but not really what I can do to correct any issues. One part of the email was concerning....
" The most interesting finding was the presence of two suspected coral pathogens associated with coral disease. These are though to act as a group, rather than individually, so finding more than one of them in the tank is worth making a note of. And one of these is pretty rare, showing up in only ~1% of tanks. I see you've noted coral disease issues in sample registration - I think these may be worth considering as possible causes. "...
This was concerning to me. I am not sure how to treat for this pathogen, what it is or if there is anything I can do anyway. In the meantime my corals are slowly dying it seems. I have started to dose Dr Tims waste away for 2 weeks. Now I started dosing Vibrant on my 3rd dose. Things look slightly better but the corals are still struggling. I am like a lot of people on the wait list for their reef rubble. I am at a loss for my next steps possibly add sand/rubble from the beach??? It seems I could be adding more problems that way as well. LFS rubble maybe, just buy more frags lol.. I don't really know. So I am asking the internet once again what I should do :). (BTW last time I asked the internet what to do it didn't go well for me soooo...go easy! ;Joyful)

https://aquabiomics.com/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/reports/nomorenames/1000511_tankDNA.html

I would recommend Aquabiomics 100%. If you have questions or want to know about any of this stuff. I think their report and their service is great. I am just asking for a little help on this certain circumstance.

Thanks,
I would ask @AquaBiomics exactly how to interpret the test - are you sure you didnt get a second page? I do not see anything in the links that suggests that you have low amounts of 'all necessary bacteria'.
I would suggest that you check for another report on the site. in the links that I see - it is not ''bacteria' being measured - but eukaryotes. Bacteria are prokaryotes?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop rushing for a chemical solution (bottle) and let the tank settle a bit. It sounds like a young or new system and things take a while to mature. I'm not trying to solve any issues here for you but based on what I read:

1. Stop dosing vibrant
2. Stop dosing Dr. Tim's (not due to product but rather until you know what problem you are trying to solve)
3. Stop adding corals
4. Stop adding fish

It isn't clear to me what the issue or concern is thus putting the brakes on sudden reactionary measures. If you can let us know what it is that is the problem you may get some more clarity.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would stop rushing for a chemical solution (bottle) and let the tank settle a bit. It sounds like a young or new system and things take a while to mature. I'm not trying to solve any issues here for you but based on what I read:

1. Stop dosing vibrant
2. Stop dosing Dr. Tim's (not due to product but rather until you know what problem you are trying to solve)
3. Stop adding corals
4. Stop adding fish

It isn't clear to me what the issue or concern is thus putting the brakes on sudden reactionary measures. If you can let us know what it is that is the problem you may get some more clarity.
I wonder if the OP has the 'Bacterial diversity report'. I did not see it in the link.

OP
OP
N

Nomorenames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask @AquaBiomics exactly how to interpret the test - are you sure you didnt get a second page? I do not see anything in the links that suggests that you have low amounts of 'all necessary bacteria'.
I would suggest that you check for another report on the site. in the links that I see - it is not ''bacteria' being measured - but eukaryotes. Bacteria are prokaryotes?
Sorry if it was unclear. The 1st test(not attached) showed a lack of all beneficial bacteria. This report showed an improvement. The troubling part was the coral pathogen.

OP
OP
N

Nomorenames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. Stop dosing vibrant
3. Stop adding corals
4. Stop adding fish

I don't believe I am rushing or looking for a quick fix in a bottle. I have had dinos before in previous tank and a bit in this tank. I have got rid of them before with Dr Tims. The report showed an elevated level of dinos. That was my thought on using these products. I don't add fish or corals at this point. Last additions were last year(mostly coral) The question I had was on the coral pathogens in the report and what if I can even do anything.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks,
Do nothing, and possibly, stop sending for data that has not been shown to be useful in aquarium maintenance.

As with ICP data, you don’t know whether the report would be the same if you sent in the same water sample a second time.

This hobby is a crap shoot anyway, worse than sharing a needle or kissing a dog. Every living thing you put in the aquarium infects its with some new microorgansim or creepy worm. The next thing you add could bring down your system, but probably won’t

Your next step is to forget the AquaBiomics data, forget bacteria, forget trying to control things out of your control. Go retro and enjoy the aquarium.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd use a uv sterilizer or do it old fashioned way of big water changes. Considering vibrant has been identified as straight algaecide that's probably a good cause for stress in your corals

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worse than sharing a needle or kissing a dog. Every living thing you put in the aquarium infects its

If that doesn't hit home nothing will ;)

And I 100% agree. While I like what Eli is doing it isn't something that should be done on a new display let alone a display less than 3 years old.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe I am rushing or looking for a quick fix in a bottle. I have had dinos before in previous tank and a bit in this tank. I have got rid of them before with Dr Tims. The report showed an elevated level of dinos. That was my thought on using these products. I don't add fish or corals at this point. Last additions were last year(mostly coral) The question I had was on the coral pathogens in the report and what if I can even do anything.
Hi there.

As you can tell, there are a lot of people here that are pretty unhelpful and more than willing to dismiss your concerns, seemingly even without actually reading your post itself given their lack of accuracy in even trying to address what you want to know.

Anyways, this seems to be a report of Eukaryotes in your tank. Do you have a report for Prokaryotes?

That are, did AquaBiomics tell you specifically which ones are the suspected pathogens?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

As you can tell, there are a lot of people here that are pretty unhelpful and more than willing to dismiss your concerns, seemingly even without actually reading your post itself given their lack of accuracy in even trying to address what you want to know.

Anyways, this seems to be a report of Eukaryotes in your tank. Do you have a report for Prokaryotes?

That are, did AquaBiomics tell you specifically which ones are the suspected pathogens?

Maybe pinpoint where anyone dismissed.

If you like reaching for a chemical for a quick fix more power to you. However we are helpful by saying stop, articulate what the concern or problem is, so people better assist. One product the OP is dosing is Vibrant. I'm pretty sure you can scan the forum and see how that is going. Am I right?

OP
OP
N

Nomorenames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

I did not see exactly what the pathogens would be or what they are called. It was was just called out in the email. The one report is all I have. Nothing about Prokaryotes(had to Google that one :) ) that I can see.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not see exactly what the pathogens would be or what they are called. It was was just called out in the email. The one report is all I have. Nothing about Prokaryotes(had to Google that one :) ) that I can see.
Hm. Can you contact AquaBiomics and ask them what it is exactly?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if it was unclear. The 1st test(not attached) showed a lack of all beneficial bacteria. This report showed an improvement. The troubling part was the coral pathogen.
To the OP - the reports I see linked - are identical - both from Feb 24th. Unless there are pages missing - do not show anything about bacteria and I don't see anything about coral pathogens.

Regarding dinoflagellates - the report says >5% is 'significant' - and yours are all well below that. I do not believe its possible
Maybe pinpoint where anyone dismissed.

If you like reaching for a chemical for a quick fix more power to you. However we are helpful by saying stop, articulate what the concern or problem is, so people better assist. One product the OP is dosing is Vibrant. I'm pretty sure you can scan the forum and see how that is going. Am I right?
OK - IMHO his question was pretty clear. And -some people were dismissive - basically slamming everything he was doing - without answering the question he was asking.

The question was about the report - which was, to my reading, not saying what the OP was saying. I tend to agree about chemicals as I've said multiple times - lets not again drag the vibrant issue into this thread as well:).

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start with your tests show how the microbiome has changed for the better over time. I am a big fan of Aquabiomic's microbiome testing but keep in mind we can't test coral microbiomes and apparently healthy corals will have pathogens and may have pathogenic shifts in their microbiomes. Here's a quote from this paper

"Critical to coral disease transmission – or resistance – is the coral's surface mucus layer,
which is produced in part by the coral's endosymbionts [12]. The mucus layer hosts a complex
microbial community, referred to hereafter as the surface microbial community (SMC). Because
the mucus environment is rich in nutrients, microbial population densities there are orders of
magnitude higher than in the surrounding water column [20]. Most established and emerging
pathogens are endemic to the ecosystem and typically present at low numbers in the SMC.
When stressed, the SMC can switch rapidly from a community associated with healthy corals to
diseased corals. In field studies during the 2005 summer bleaching event, Ritchie [28] observed
that "visitor" bacteria (bacterial groups otherwise not dominant) became the predominant
species in mucus collected from apparently healthy Acropora palmata
."

Cosnisdering corals are also manipulating the microbiomes in the water around them what I would be doing is adding more corals, maintain water quality with water changes and don't add anything that can mess with the microbiomes like carbon dosing. I wouldn't dose nitrates or amino acids or phosphates unless there's a documented difficiency. It may seem counter intuitive to say do water changes which would directly reduce the microbial counts but my suspcion based on what I've seen over the decades I've kept reef systems is water changes reduces the good and the bad equally giving the corals the opportunity to restock the good stuff.

Also keep in mind even if you don't change your maintennace routine or add or remove anything the you'll still likely see changes in your microbiome test results over time. This paper looked at the microbial counts in a public aquariu and found significant changes over time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you go to the website - and look at your accounts - AHHH - I see there are now 3 tests - one is the Tank DNA test (which is the one you got) that shows if you have parasites, what kinds of algae, etc etc. Then there is the BACTERIAL diversity test (its separate). I did not realize that they were separated into 2 tests.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back