Aquaclear 30 for Filtration

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am starting a new reef tank, my first ever, and I was told that I could use an Aquaclear 30 for a Nano 10 gallon aquarium. My question is, what would I need to put in this tank for Media? Someone told me to use algae and make it a refugium (sp?) but that just totally confused me even more than I already am with the filter media.

Any advice or suggestions as to what I need to use for media would be greatly appreciated!

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly you can probably use what it comes with (sponge, carbon, bio media); a tank that small with water changes just needs flow. If anything you could take out the bio media after a while and use a different grade of sponge... Once your rock is established

OP
OP
de_1988

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? That's easy then.
I plan on using half live rock and half dry rock, so I'm not sure how long that would take to establish beneficial bacteria on the dry rock.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? That's easy then.
I plan on using half live rock and half dry rock, so I'm not sure how long that would take to establish beneficial bacteria on the dry rock.

you probably need more flow though, than just the aquaclear. I had an aquaclear 50 on a 10gal freshwater setup and that was the least I'd want on a saltwater setup. Plus as the sponges get full with detritus or sand or whatever, the flow will decrease even further. Are you planning on getting a powerhead too?

I had a maxi-jet 400 affixed to a large "air-driven" sponge filter in my 10 gal FW now and that's probably more what I'd want in a saltwater, which was 200+ gph of flow (until the sponge gets full and flow decreases). An aquaclear 30 has even less than an aquaclear 50, likely too underpowered.

OP
OP
de_1988

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wasn’t. I thought the flow would be enough from the AC30.

OP
OP
de_1988

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t think so.
Does the flow need to be that strong though? I had a different AC30 on a FW 10 gallon and it was blowing the sand everywhere. I can imagine that an AC50 would be even crazier.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t think so.
Does the flow need to be that strong though? I had a different AC30 on a FW 10 gallon and it was blowing the sand everywhere. I can imagine that an AC50 would be even crazier.

well you want to put some rock down where the cascade occurs, you have to work around a HOB's limitations

And the thing is... with a 50 you don't have to run it at max setting... but with a 30 you can't ever go above 150gph, but you said you can't upgrade, so I mean, what's the point of asking if it's appropriate or not lol

OP
OP
de_1988

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t asking if it was appropriate though. My question was about what type of media I should use.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t asking if it was appropriate though. My question was about what type of media I should use.

it's a bit too much flow to make into a refugium imo, but you could give it a try, just stick a light on top of it and leave it empty, basically grow algae in it (on purpose)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Chemi pure blue nano in my Fluval filter for my 7 gallon nano. I would use Purigen if you can put it in a small enough bag. People with the Food Processors make their own bags from Seachem.

OP
OP
de_1988

de_1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that would be the only media then? Purigen or Chemi pure?

Ghost415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a question similar to this. Since using a 50 on a 10g would be best, you think a 30 ona 5g would be fine??

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 93 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 98 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.5%
Back