Aquaclear causing too much flow

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a few corals in a couple of days ago and I realized that one spot of my tank is unhabitable by corals. The right side of my tank has way too much flow which is caused by the aquaclear 70. It’s even severely damaged one of my hammers. I only have a 20 gallon long so it’s not like I have much room to play around with. Anyone have suggestions to fix this?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times you can change out the impeller to a smaller one to get lower flow. So get an AQ50 impeller, or maybe a AQ30 if the 50 is too much also. You can find the impellers on Amazon for about $11.

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using aquaclear on my QT. I use sponge foam to eliminate the bubble and redirect the flow.
20210108_184957.jpg

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running it on slowest flow?
Can it be moved?
Move the hammer?
I just moved the hammer around. The flow has also stayed on the lower setting since I got it. I’m hoping it will like it’s new spot. I came here wanted to see what other people were doing because I haven’t seen this topic widely discussed.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I run Aquaclear 70's in 20longs for my QT and the flow doesn't appear to be as much as in my DT. Are you sure that's the reason?
I’m thinking flow is the problem but I’m no expert. The only reason I guessed flow was because the head that was being blasted was the head that is dying. The other is doing perfectly fine. If you think it is anything else I appreciate the suggestion.

OP
OP
Kingkold020

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times you can change out the impeller to a smaller one to get lower flow. So get an AQ50 impeller, or maybe a AQ30 if the 50 is too much also. You can find the impellers on Amazon for about $11
I didn’t know they sold these. Might have to try it out and see if that helps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back