AquaClear HOB QT filter

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed a 9 week quarantine period on 2 clowns... all went great! I am thinking of getting another fish (Midas Blenny) started in quarantine.

I will clean the QT tank first, but do I need to start over with a new sponge filter in my AquaClear HOB filter?

It seems i would have a nice cycled sponge already for the past 9 weeks... but if it is compromised for some reason, i can start over. I never saw any disease with my Clowns... just treated prophylactically with Metro-Plex, CopperSafe, and PraziPro.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to use the sponge a couple of rounds, but probably should thoroughly clean the rest of the tank, as biofilms can build up that reduce the effectiveness of meds like Metro and Prazi.

You can run vinegar through the sponge to help clear some things, but it won't be perfect. You can run bleach through the sponge to wipe out just about everything ... but not for too long, because bleach will destroy the sponge. You can thoroughly dry the sponge, but I won't call it easy to get the center of a sponge dry.

Or you can just pop for a new sponge and rebuild the bacteria ... and be certain.

~Bruce

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back