Aquaclear refuguim/nutrient export advice

will0wtr33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been in the hobby for about 2 years now, and my first tank (10 gallon nano) was surprisingly successful. I've upgraded to a 20 long (a huge leap, I know =P) and now it seems nitrate reduction is a bit more of an issue. In the 10 I just did two ~10% water changes a week, ran chemipure blue in an Aquaclear 50, and everything was hunky dory. While water changes are still a viable option, I'd like to be able to feed a bit more without worrying about a spike in nitrates. The new tank is a standard 20L with an aquaclear 70 HOB filter, some powerheads, etc. I've been planning on snagging the Oceanbox surface skimmer and the In-Tank media basket to upgrade somewhat. I would like to grow chaeto in the filter for nitrate reduction and cultivation of pods, but need a bit of advice. The light for my tank reaches the filter, so an additional fuge light will probably be unnecessary. I figure if the chaeto grows too quickly I can just leave the lid on the Aquaclear to filter out a ton of light. Even with the lid on the filter in the 10 gallon I had tons of Coraline on my bio media. I've heard that running chemipure before the chaeto (the only option in a small HOB filter like this) is bad because it removes things that the chaeto needs to grow. Right now I can't really go larger due to my rental agreement, and the tank is already running so I can't drill it. Is this my best option for nutrient export given my current situation? I've considered a HOB skimmer, but man those things are UGLY. I'd love to hear some opinions and advice!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1579982942597.png

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir/sift the sandbed and blow of rocks really good right before each waterchange will help! I started doing that when I had an issue before and it changed everything. Your essentially getting all the leftovers and waste out into the water column to then be sucked out during waterchange and pulled into filter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back