Aquacultured livestock

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to stay away from wild caught livestock for my reef tank, especially as it pertains to the fish. What are some good sites that sell aquacultured livestock, and other than clowns, what fish can be found that are aquacultured?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs offers fish and corals from ORA, and I recently got a nice orchid dottyback, aiptasia eating filefish and Kahomara, canary and fork-tailed blennies - all healthy and colorful. Would think for stores in your area buy from ORA as well.

https://www.orafarm.com/
Good luck

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs offers fish and corals from ORA, and I recently got a nice orchid dottyback, aiptasia eating filefish and Kahomara, canary and fork-tailed blennies - all healthy and colorful. Would think for stores in your area buy from ORA as well.
Good luck
There is a single store in my area that isn't an hours drive. They are cool, but i don't trust their livestock at all. I've had my cichlid tank wiped out twice by columnaris after adding a fish from there, and last time i went to look at marine fish, a few of there had some weird gray stuff growing on them, so i know they don't QT. I'm stuck with online vendors that have good customer support at this point.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a single store in my area that isn't an hours drive. They are cool, but i don't trust their livestock at all. I've had my cichlid tank wiped out twice by columnaris after adding a fish from there, and last time i went to look at marine fish, a few of there had some weird gray stuff growing on them, so i know they don't QT. I'm stuck with online vendors that have good customer support at this point.
Too bad, 'cause most of us like to buy once the fish/coral has had time to adjust from shipping and we can see what we're getting. Then again, a two hour drive may not be too far for quality, tank raised fish and coral. Nothing in Charm City?

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad, 'cause most of us like to buy once the fish/coral has had time to adjust from shipping and we can see what we're getting. Then again, a two hour drive may not be too far for quality, tank raised fish and coral. Nothing in Charm City?

Not that I've been able to find. There are petco and petsmart, but no real LFS anymore. I have to drive to Rockville, DC, or Northern VA to even look at decent fish if I bypass the closest LFS. I'm good with ordering online. This place taxed itself out of so many small businesses during the O'Malley years.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand completely; extra taxes made it really hard for some small businesses to make their margins. Drs. Foster and Smith broker ORA fish and corals which are shipped directly from ORA's facilities in Florida I believe. Looks to me like all the animals on the ORA website are available through DFS: https://www.liveaquaria.com/category/5141/ora-captive-bred-fish?c=15+1500+5141&r= . I have several ORA dottybacks and they are no more peaceful than others, lol: https://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/dottybacks/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back