Aquaforest vs Instant ocean SALT

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Messages
1,279
Reaction score
893
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy Aquaforest and/or normal Instant Ocean for my fish only or softie/LPS tanks. Find that IO mixes and clears up faster than AF. AF salt particles take a bit more effort to dissolve. Other than that dont really observe any difference so buy the one on sale. Any thoughts?
 
I want to say BRS or someone did a test on this, also each brand usually states how soon the salt is supposed to be ready before use…
I thought IO was 24hrs….I never personally wait that long but whatever it is that info is somewhere
 
I too didn't find much difference between AF salt and IO aside from parameters. I didn't observe that AF took any longer to mix though, for me they mixed about the same.
 
I use AF reef salt and it mixes clear for me in about 15 minutes. If the mixing parameters are the same, I think you could buy whichever is cheapest when you need it. I nornally wait for a sale on AF once I am down to half a box left from the prior order.
 
I switched to AF from RS black bucket about 2 years ago and I love the salt.
I find that it mixes exceptionally clear in a very short amount of time *about 10-15 mins* and stays clear (no slime or precipitate) when I leave it to mix or sit longer than anticipated.
I also wait for AF to go on sale and buy 3 or 4 200g bags.
 
I switched to AF from RS black bucket about 2 years ago and I love the salt.
I find that it mixes exceptionally clear in a very short amount of time *about 10-15 mins* and stays clear (no slime or precipitate) when I leave it to mix or sit longer than anticipated.
I also wait for AF to go on sale and buy 3 or 4 200g bags.
How long have you let it sit? I found with AF salt it still produced a coating in my mixing station. But I sometimes have the same batch of salt for a few weeks in there.
 
How long have you let it sit? I found with AF salt it still produced a coating in my mixing station. But I sometimes have the same batch of salt for a few weeks in there.
I've let it sit for up to 2 weeks (my largest mixing container is 10g, and I have let it sit up to 3 weeks and only have to adjust for evaporation and recheck SG.
 
Thx for feedback. AF does go on sale more often then IO and thats when I buy 4 boxes. In my case IO mixes better but I can tolerate the slight difference in effort to get AF to be as clear and as quickly. Have rarely had mixed saltwater sit more than a couple of hours and in most cases 15-30m. Have never noticed any issues with fish or corals.
 
Last edited:
How long have you let it sit? I found with AF salt it still produced a coating in my mixing station. But I sometimes have the same batch of salt for a few weeks in there.
At least on Af reef salt directions say use within 5 days of mixing, I can’t say with certainty but maybe that is the cause of the coating? Is it sitting without circulation? Heater? I left IO because it was always leaving a brown film on my mixing buckets and I couldn’t get consistent parameters.
 
Last edited:
At least on Af reef salt directions say use within 5 days of mixing, I can’t say with certainty but maybe that is the cause of the coating? Is it sitting without circulation? Heater? I left IO because it was always leaving a brown film on my mixing buckets and I couldn’t get consistent parameters.
Yup, that's actually why I switched to IO. I observed that the ALK dropped quite a bit after a week. I think it being heated also causes the coating. I notice when I heat any salt it seems that something precipitates out more or faster than when its left to room temp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new