Aquamaxx hob skimmer help!

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there , so a few days ago I noticed my skimmer cup on my aquamaxx skimmer not filling properly . I cleaned out cup just to be sure nothing was built up in chamber or cup . The skimmer was working ok but still not foaming up properly . Yesterday there was barely any bubbles flowing up in the water and no foam going up the cup , I unplugged the yellow hose that goes to silencer and blew in it and still nothing . Not sure what could be going on? Maybe pump is no good . The skimmer is probably 6-7 months old . I took it out of the tank to clean tomorrow .

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it blocked up..
good cleaning may help..
when have you tore it apart and cleaned last??

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it blocked up..
good cleaning may help..
when have you tore it apart and cleaned last??
It was months ago when my tank was fallow . What should it be cleaned in? It must be blocked up or pump shot already which I doubt

flyfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Pull it apart check the impeller they are finicky...like tap the pump with a screwdriver or rotate the housing slightly and it will spin better. Most likely this is your problem....new pump is expensive so try to rally what you have.

mcwhng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull it apart check the impeller they are finicky...like tap the pump with a screwdriver or rotate the housing slightly and it will spin better. Most likely this is your problem....new pump is expensive so try to rally what you have.

I've got a aquamaxx hob coneS for 50 breeder mixed reef, almost 2 yrs old, that is basically a cone skimmer that keeps the tank really clean. But like the previous reefer said the Venturi airline (yellow tube) seems to clog easier than other skimmers. I routinely break down the skimmer every 3 months and run the pump in a half hot water half vinegar mix to really clean out deposits after I clear out any salt deposits in the Venturi inlet. I also run RODI water that's been warmed up in the microwave (50 seconds) through the yellow airline every week to prevent deposits. Just consider this routine maintenance!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back