AquaRay Lighting Thread

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting this thread for AquaRay users to discuss this brand of lights and show off some pics... and for anyone else to chime in with questions or discussion points.

I’ll kick it off...

I run 2 x AquaRay TMC Nature Perfect 1500 tiles over a 65g Oceanic. I’ve had these lights for over 4 years now and I bought the controller about two years ago. I have two of four ports open on the controller and I’m thinking about adding another. I really like these lights!

42C94330-725D-4EE4-8EFA-94D5037FD235.jpeg B6FB0A4B-6A4F-4A5D-A37D-D998FD8D8D16.jpeg 81C46B00-07D2-4876-A97A-0AB5CBAF8D38.jpeg 56621434-AD59-4F63-82AB-E92DC74B569B.jpeg

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a 600 Ultima Fiji Blue strip to my existing setup. Watching a lot of @BRS videos on spectrum and I’m adding this to try and boost growth and color. Attaching a before shot and I’ll re-visit this in a few months to document the effect.

A9DEB785-9707-4789-911A-41F38173354B.jpeg CDB44FCB-9ED1-4D30-B8D3-D0D27D1DA855.jpeg 1113CC37-522C-4B14-A992-C1A937BB6B7D.jpeg BB885FE2-3AA3-44DA-9AE9-3AF332A4C738.jpeg

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to update this to talk about the great customer service that I received. There's a little bit of a story here, so stick with me. Also please note that I am in no way "sponsored" by this company, just sharing an experience.

I own the SmartController8 which allows me to program the lights across 4 different channels (I use 3). The controller also doubles as a power source and temperature monitor, and wouldn't you know it, started to fail a few weeks ago. I determined that the problem was two-fold... first, the internal clock on the controller started to "freeze" ... this meant that the lights were not coming on on-time because the clock was not moving. Second, the temp probe was functioning, but the controller reading of the temperature was failing (there's a long story behind how I determined this, but I won't bore you with more details).

I purchased the SmartController8 on 9/5/2018 from a wholesaler that no longer exists online. I contacted the manufacturer, TMC, that is based in the U.K. They referred me to a wholesaler in the US, different (obviously) than the one that I purchased from. That wholesaler contacted a US distributor, with whom I had many email correspondences. Unfortunately, because I didn't purchase the product from the referred wholesaler or distributor, they were unable to honor the warranty. This is understandable, I don't fault them for this.

So I went back to the contact at TMC in the U.K. and explained the situation. Without hesitation they said they would find a solution for me, but needed a few days to coordinate. Just the other day I got an email that they are sending me a new controller! I'm obviously very excited to know that I will be able to continue to use these lights to their fullest extent. Sure I could just use a simple power supply and power-up/power-down 0%-100%, but the controller, with included temp monitoring, is a really nice addition to these lights.

I've chimed in on various threads when folks ask for lighting options, offering the AquaRay lights as something that should be looked into. One of the things I always say is that the warranty (5 years on lights, 2 years on PSUs and controllers) was a big selling point for me. Anyway, I wanted to add to this thread to let folks who find it that the warranty is being honored, no questions asked.

Great product, great warranty, great customer service!

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on growth. Just hit six years (entering year seven) with these lights.
267E50E3-7068-4192-8141-5611DE0C9960.jpeg
A29657AC-DA10-4389-B75C-BC0683902A54.jpeg

TonyK_Az

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am finally getting into saltwater, have had freshwater planted tanks forever. I went out and bought a new JBJ AIO 65 and two of the Aquabeam 1500 Coral color tiles in order to begin this adventure. Unfortunately, I did not get the controller at the time of purchase of the lights and now I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Would anybody know where I can get the controllers? I was looking at possibly getting a "smart" dimmer switch, but this would only allow me to control turning them on gradually. I feel that I would not be able to take full advantage of what these lights can do for a saltwater tank. I am located in the US.

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am finally getting into saltwater, have had freshwater planted tanks forever. I went out and bought a new JBJ AIO 65 and two of the Aquabeam 1500 Coral color tiles in order to begin this adventure. Unfortunately, I did not get the controller at the time of purchase of the lights and now I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Would anybody know where I can get the controllers? I was looking at possibly getting a "smart" dimmer switch, but this would only allow me to control turning them on gradually. I feel that I would not be able to take full advantage of what these lights can do for a saltwater tank. I am located in the US.
TMC is a UK-based company and they have distributors in the US that may be able to arrange shipment of something you’re after. I got the replacement controller by contacting the main office directly who put me in contact with a vendor.

Try writing to [email protected] or to [email protected]

Good luck in finding what you need. I hope it is still available because if my lights ever die I’m going right back to buy the same ones again, and the controller makes them that much better and more enjoyable.

TonyK_Az

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TMC is a UK-based company and they have distributors in the US that may be able to arrange shipment of something you’re after. I got the replacement controller by contacting the main office directly who put me in contact with a vendor.

Try writing to [email protected] or to [email protected]

Good luck in finding what you need. I hope it is still available because if my lights ever die I’m going right back to buy the same ones again, and the controller makes them that much better and more enjoyable.
Thank you! I just finished sending them an email.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This company always pops up regarding this brand..
https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquaRayLEDLighting.html
$370....
I know nothing about them though.

TonyK_Az

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Homebrewer I like them a lot! The issue of not having the controller was that they were either at 0 or 100%, needless to say I started having hair algae show up everywhere. The one side where I have a controller working the hair algae is getting controlled by the Astrea Snails and blue leg hermits. The other side (without controller) I have reduced the time to 6 hours per day but still the hair algae appears to be growing a little faster than the Astrea Snails can consume it.

I should have the second controller arrive towards the end of this week and finally have both lights on controllers. This should allow me to get them synched up and help me fight the hair algae issue since I will be able to dial them down from 100% down to about 80%.

My focus for this tank is macroalgae so I am not too worried about the hair algae because as the macro algae grows it should use up all the nutrients in the water and make it much harder for the hair algae to carpet everything but getting started having the lights at 100% when they are on is what I believe led to the macroalgae explosion.

HMarcks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to update this to talk about the great customer service that I received. There's a little bit of a story here, so stick with me. Also please note that I am in no way "sponsored" by this company, just sharing an experience.

I own the SmartController8 which allows me to program the lights across 4 different channels (I use 3). The controller also doubles as a power source and temperature monitor, and wouldn't you know it, started to fail a few weeks ago. I determined that the problem was two-fold... first, the internal clock on the controller started to "freeze" ... this meant that the lights were not coming on on-time because the clock was not moving. Second, the temp probe was functioning, but the controller reading of the temperature was failing (there's a long story behind how I determined this, but I won't bore you with more details).

I purchased the SmartController8 on 9/5/2018 from a wholesaler that no longer exists online. I contacted the manufacturer, TMC, that is based in the U.K. They referred me to a wholesaler in the US, different (obviously) than the one that I purchased from. That wholesaler contacted a US distributor, with whom I had many email correspondences. Unfortunately, because I didn't purchase the product from the referred wholesaler or distributor, they were unable to honor the warranty. This is understandable, I don't fault them for this.

So I went back to the contact at TMC in the U.K. and explained the situation. Without hesitation they said they would find a solution for me, but needed a few days to coordinate. Just the other day I got an email that they are sending me a new controller! I'm obviously very excited to know that I will be able to continue to use these lights to their fullest extent. Sure I could just use a simple power supply and power-up/power-down 0%-100%, but the controller, with included temp monitoring, is a really nice addition to these lights.

I've chimed in on various threads when folks ask for lighting options, offering the AquaRay lights as something that should be looked into. One of the things I always say is that the warranty (5 years on lights, 2 years on PSUs and controllers) was a big selling point for me. Anyway, I wanted to add to this thread to let folks who find it that the warranty is being honored, no questions asked.

Great product, great warranty, great customer service!
Hey, I know this is super old but… I have an Aquarey Smart Controller 8 that just died on me. I still have a 6 LED light setup with USB ends. Does anyone know of a replacement controller that I can just plug my existing lights into?

OP
OP
Homebrewer

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I know this is super old but… I have an Aquarey Smart Controller 8 that just died on me. I still have a 6 LED light setup with USB ends. Does anyone know of a replacement controller that I can just plug my existing lights into?
Have you tried contacting the company at the email addresses earlier in this thread? I have to say the lights still seem to be available but controllers, especially the 8, seems to be unavailable from any site that mentions it. Maybe the company can tell you if it is obtainable in the US?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back