Aquareef 400 tank setup/progress

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really works great. You can see the results on my reef. It a 2 part epoxy style. Comes with a fluid and a powder. Mixes like a dry cement.
89b80e6f9a760791aa1cbb61d27d06f2.jpg
842761b59a3d6b3c96c8fee36aa79682.jpg

I really like that aquascape. Nice change of pace from the wall of rocks

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that aquascape. Nice change of pace from the wall of rocks
Thank you. Unfortunately this tank got sold a few months ago. But im now setting up a unls aquaforest nano aquarium focused on sps corals

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the tank today, mixed my salt up and it seems to of settled now but I have LOADS of bubbles sitting on everything?
Any reason why this is happening?
20171008_175258.jpg
Micro bubbles from the protein skimmer maybe. Might not be all the way broken in. Or air escaping from the rock. Many reason as to y but those are two off the top of my head

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not switched skimmer on yet so possibly the rocks then. I'm hoping they go soon, was looking forward to the tank looking nice once water was in but I guess I'll wait a little longer aha.

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not switched skimmer on yet so possibly the rocks then. I'm hoping they go soon, was looking forward to the tank looking nice once water was in but I guess I'll wait a little longer aha.
Turn up your power heads. Blast the rocks off

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting to grips with the skimmer. I've got the aqua one g220, first thoughts is its not going to be up to standard, doesn't sit very well in the designated part of the sump so still making some improvements. Should have it up and running tomorrow at some point though.
How long do they take to break in, or is it one of those questions where there isn't really an answer as each skimmer is different?

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting to grips with the skimmer. I've got the aqua one g220, first thoughts is its not going to be up to standard, doesn't sit very well in the designated part of the sump so still making some improvements. Should have it up and running tomorrow at some point though.
How long do they take to break in, or is it one of those questions where there isn't really an answer as each skimmer is different?
A lil different for each. You'll notice it start to actual skim. Dont adjust it to flow up the neck till you see skim mate forming on the top of the water in the main chamber. Wait for a good thick brown. Then adjust up the neck slowly. I prefer a dryer skimmate.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the tank today, mixed my salt up and it seems to of settled now but I have LOADS of bubbles sitting on everything?
Any reason why this is happening?
20171008_175258.jpg

Diggin that scape. Looking nice man

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate. Wanted to go a little higher but only had large pieces left over aND when trying to break the bits up they just crumbled so thought I would leave it as that

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've started the cycle today. Using the red Sea mature pro kit. Has anyone ever used this? If so what was you experience with it?
Had to buy 2 lots as one only treats 250l of water.
2017-10-12 19.25.22.jpg

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following the thread.
All seems to be going well with he cycle. Last tests read that ammonia was dropping, nitrite rising slightly and nitrates were rising. Think it's only day 4/5 and already seeing results.
I also have some brown algae growing on the pump, small spots of it on the rock and patches in the sand. Guessing those are diatoms?
Dreading it all getting out of hand though!

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone still following the thread.
All seems to be going well with he cycle. Last tests read that ammonia was dropping, nitrite rising slightly and nitrates were rising. Think it's only day 4/5 and already seeing results.
I also have some brown algae growing on the pump, small spots of it on the rock and patches in the sand. Guessing those are diatoms?
Dreading it all getting out of hand though!
Following

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following
Thats good. The ammonia is dropping changing over to nitrate. Diatoms are forming. Sounds great. Once ammonia is zero you can do a water change and add a small cuc if your getting antsy.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably leave it a couple more weeks before adding CUC just to make sure I'm good to go. Don't want to rush anything.
What CUC would you recommend starting with? I really like the look of purple legged hermits and trochus snails.
Is there a certain amount that is good to start with or does that depend on how much diatoms I have?

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably leave it a couple more weeks before adding CUC just to make sure I'm good to go. Don't want to rush anything.
What CUC would you recommend starting with? I really like the look of purple legged hermits and trochus snails.
Is there a certain amount that is good to start with or does that depend on how much diatoms I have?
Smart. Patience is everything with this hobby

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back