Aquareef 400 tank setup/progress

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
New to the hobby and after following a few people posts taking us through their process, I thought it would be interesting to start my own. Also a good way to get any advice along the way from anyone who's interested in following along.

So I recently purchased the aqua one aquareef 400 s2 which comes with the new LED lights (the first series came with t5s) also two 300w heaters, return pump and filter sock.
After a shocking start with the problem of my bulkhead leaking badly when the return pump was switched on, I now have a tank with zero leaks. I did have to purchase a few different fittings to achieve this though which after spending $2300 aud on a tank you wouldn't expect to have to Make adaptations just to get the tank running.
I've also purchased the g220 skimmer that also seems to be a problem as it does not fit the sump as it should (g220 was reccomemded for this tank)

Yesterday I added 20kg of coral sand that is enough for a shallow sand bed. Wasn't to keen on having deep sand bed anyway. Also I purchased 18.5kg of caribsea south seas base rock. As you can see in the photos I still probably need another load of rock.

Can anyone suggest a decent wave maker that would suit this size of tank?

20171001_165304.jpg
20171001_174426.jpg
20171001_180531.jpg

20171001_165304.jpg

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start.

As far as wave makers, endless discussion.
I personally use a variety, Vortecs and Gyres.
I vote gyre. Had the original max spect gyre on my 210 gallon and loved it. Now you can link multiple, that's just a win.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote gyre. Had the original max spect gyre on my 210 gallon and loved it. Now you can link multiple, that's just a win.

Still out of my price range so they will be an option for me in the future. I got a jebao with a controller for cheap so that will get me through for now. I'm starting out with a fowler tank, just so I get the hang of things before I start introducing corals

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still out of my price range so they will be an option for me in the future. I got a jebao with a controller for cheap so that will get me through for now. I'm starting out with a fowler tank, just so I get the hang of things before I start introducing corals
Jebao makes knock of gyres and other wave makers for a fraction of the price. Look on ebay for "jebao"

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! I also like the gyres. Beautiful tank

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been doing some reading on quarantine tanks. I currently have a 130l freshwater tank running until my new saltwater tank is good to go.
Am I able to simply clean this out and use it is my QT?
It has built in filter and lights but I'm thinking it may be still quite large just for a QT?

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another box of rock to continue my aquascape. I'm really not sure if I'm happy with it but settled for this at the moment. It looks flat in the picture but the wall is curved allowing for 2 small cove parts on each side.

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got another box of rock to continue my aquascape. I'm really not sure if I'm happy with it but settled for this at the moment. It looks flat in the picture but the wall is curved allowing for 2 small cove parts on each side.
Looks great. For cementing your rock work together i have used E-marco 400 before with awesome results. Your can create any effect you desire ex. Caves, overhangs,etc. And it dries the color of your base rock, blends right in. http://www.marcorocks.com/aquascape-supplies/e-marco-400/

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I've used an epoxy putty which I got from the fish shop but it doesn't seem to do much? Not sure if it is meant to work once the water has gone in maybe? I've also backed It up using glue but overall it's stable and not balancing dangerously (at least I think so haha)

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I've used an epoxy putty which I got from the fish shop but it doesn't seem to do much? Not sure if it is meant to work once the water has gone in maybe? I've also backed It up using glue but overall it's stable and not balancing dangerously (at least I think so haha)
It really works great. You can see the results on my reef. It a 2 part epoxy style. Comes with a fluid and a powder. Mixes like a dry cement.
89b80e6f9a760791aa1cbb61d27d06f2.jpg
842761b59a3d6b3c96c8fee36aa79682.jpg

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great tank!
Mines the 2 part epoxy also. Does this set once it gets wet? As mine currently does pretty much nothing haha
This stuff is like cement. You add the liquid part to a sand part and mix. Its exactly like a gritty cement. Its not like the puddies out there

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is like cement. You add the liquid part to a sand part and mix. Its exactly like a gritty cement. Its not like the puddies out there
Dries supper strong too. I lifted those pillars in separately as whole pieces with no hesitation of them coming apart

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Ill look into getting some of that when I rearrange further down the line. I'm sure I get bored of this scape at some point.
Just a quick question a bit off topic, when I use my rodi water do I have to treat it with prime or anything? Or can it simply be put straight into the tank?

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Ill look into getting some of that when I rearrange further down the line. I'm sure I get bored of this scape at some point.
Just a quick question a bit off topic, when I use my rodi water do I have to treat it with prime or anything? Or can it simply be put straight into the tank?
Straight in as long as tds is reading 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back