Aquarium Advice

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whan I get my 90 (or 120G) tank, I wanna do it right the first time. I'm looking at Glass Cages and so far like what I see. My confusion has to do with low iron glass. They've got many choices as to HOW MUCH of the glass is to be low iron. And it's quite expensive.

Query: Does it really matter?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, low iron is slightly/moderately optically clearer than regular glass (it's enough to make a difference side-by-side, but I've heard a few disputes on the forum here about if the difference is noticeable when not side-by-side), and it reportedly scratches more easily than regular glass.

Some people think it's worth it, others don't- it's really just a personal preference thing at this point.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my tanks are low iron. I’m glad I went with the option but honestly unless you have regular and low iron side by side, I doubt you’d ever notice a difference.

Two samples against each other are obvious but if your tank is regular glass, it’s still going to look great. I agree with the comment of get the best you can the first time and you won’t have regrets later.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, low iron is slightly/moderately optically clearer than regular glass (it's enough to make a difference side-by-side, but I've heard a few disputes on the forum here about if the difference is noticeable when not side-by-side), and it reportedly scratches more easily than regular glass.

Some people think it's worth it, others don't- it's really just a personal preference thing at this point.
I actually bought 'aquarium" glass for my bathroom shower stall. crazy expensive but much clearer. You can tell the low iron glass by the color of the edge. (minimal green)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back