OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I guess my better question is how will I hook up a generator to power my tank. We have a generator just don’t know if that would have to feed into the breaker box somehow or some electrical stuff? I’m unfamiliar with

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways I guess my better question is how will I hook up a generator to power my tank. We have a generator just don’t know if that would have to feed into the breaker box somehow or some electrical stuff? I’m unfamiliar with
Depends whether it is designed as a whole house generator.

Most small ones under 3000w are designed to simply run extension cords to appliances.

Read the manual about earthing if necessary.

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, Florida
what i’m in indiana lol

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea bud I lost about 6g’s because of a power outage so it’s a emergency there was no other prefix for me to put
But that's past tense, right? Just checking to make sure the tank is not actively crashing.

If not actively crashing, prefixes are not required for a general discussion post. If it is actively crashing, what can we do to help?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea bud I lost about 6g’s because of a power outage so it’s a emergency there was no other prefix for me to put

An emergency is an event that is happening at the present time. Not a week, two weeks, or a month ago. :) BUT…you got my attention and I do like these kind of threads!

025DAD42-684D-4BDA-B123-2DD27E91AAC0.jpeg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

what i’m in indiana lol
You use an extension cord and a power strip. It plugs into the generator and then you can plug your critical systems into that.

josephfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what people are using as a UPS or battery backup for a reef tank if the power goes out. I know there are some DIY builds if you have built one I would like to know more about it, what the specs are, devices you are using, how long it will run without power, and cost. I had a tank crash while I was on vacation and lost several coral and fish. I need to prevent this from happening. I would need to run my return pump which is 60W and a heater which is 250W I realize that is a lot of draw, I have a 90 gallon tank and would have my backup heater on the UPS or battery backup. I believe I could get by with a 250W heater. I just desperately need some suggestions/ideas/ your own personal builds (if you don’t mind sharing) and what you have plugged in for a power outage. I am really unfamiliar with the whole battery backup systems and UPS in general. Any advice would help. Thank you guys so much!
I am also in the process of getting my 1st 90 gallon marine tank and preparing the equipment like plugs etc. I have a ups prepared as well. For old pump that used AC instead of DC, you need a pure sine wave UPS but i dont think with DC pumps this is needed. Having said that, i have a pure sine wave output ups that i used on the old freshwater aquarium. My concern is what if the ups gets a power spike and shuts down while i am not at home like weekend out. So what i think i will be doing is putting all equipment on UPS except the most important thing, the return pump which i think i will put on a power surge protector. My ups i a 1000va pure sinewave ups.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back