Aquarium Battery Backup

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was wondering what people are using as a UPS or battery backup for a reef tank if the power goes out. I know there are some DIY builds if you have built one I would like to know more about it, what the specs are, devices you are using, how long it will run without power, and cost. I had a tank crash while I was on vacation and lost several coral and fish. I need to prevent this from happening. I would need to run my return pump which is 60W and a heater which is 250W I realize that is a lot of draw, I have a 90 gallon tank and would have my backup heater on the UPS or battery backup. I believe I could get by with a 250W heater. I just desperately need some suggestions/ideas/ your own personal builds (if you don’t mind sharing) and what you have plugged in for a power outage. I am really unfamiliar with the whole battery backup systems and UPS in general. Any advice would help. Thank you guys so much!

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duracell ran an MP10 for 4 days on a 100g tank. For my bigger tank I've used a combination of this and/or battery powered air pumps.

Attachments

• 20220729_162740.jpg
    20220729_162740.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20220729_162756.jpg
    20220729_162756.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 81

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some additional info

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one that runs a small dedicated USB (DC) pump for 7 days. Kicks on automatically when power is cut. Was a little north of $100 with most of it being the battery. The PC UPS systems have a bit of overhead to invert the power. The DC battery directly powering a DC pump will get you the most mileage out of any given battery.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run essentials such as return pump and circulation pumps from a 3300W UPS. That keeps them running for over 12 hours. The profilux sends a power fail alarm and switches other stuff off.

If the power is still out we have a home 8kW generator that can be fired up and switched in. Runs the whole house other than 3 phase things like the A/C

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run essentials such as return pump and circulation pumps from a 3300W UPS. That keeps them running for over 12 hours. The profilux sends a power fail alarm and switches other stuff off.

If the power is still out we have a home 8kW generator that can be fired up and switched in. Runs the whole house other than 3 phase things like the A/C
How much was this whole setup and what does it consist of?

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one that runs a small dedicated USB (DC) pump for 7 days. Kicks on automatically when power is cut. Was a little north of $100 with most of it being the battery. The PC UPS systems have a bit of overhead to invert the power. The DC battery directly powering a DC pump will get you the most mileage out of any given battery.

wouldn’t you need to run a heater to?

mistyw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a solar generator, and have a power inverter I can use with my car. But luckily extended power outages aren’t really a thing here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have generator and in the past used a large UPC unit

** Please refrain from using Emergency as emergency option is for those with fish or coral that are dying, leaks, etc. This non-emergency takes away from those wo need and seek immediate advise in a crisis situation.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much was this whole setup and what does it consist of?
Bear in mind, it's not just for the fish - although they were the main reason for setup. It can run the whole house.

We don't normally get long outages where I live, however with all the crazy weather at the moment I'd rather be prepared than try to source stuff when the lights do go out.

The tank is worth over $20k

Cyberpower Online UPS about $US 1200
Briggs & Stratton Generator about $US 3000
Electrical work about $US 500

OP
OP
Kolby’s Reef

Kolby’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have generator and in the past used a large UPC unit

** Please refrain from using Emergency as emergency option is for those with fish or coral that are dying, leaks, etc. This non-emergency takes away from those wo need and seek immediate advise in a crisis situation.
Yea bud I lost about 6g’s because of a power outage so it’s a emergency there was no other prefix for me to put

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back