Aquarium Build Brainstorming

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a 90-120-gallon aquarium. I already have a 32.5-gallon tank and 3 years of experience. Just brainstorming my next project right now. I was wondering what the estimated total cost is for an almost self-sufficient fully maxed out around 90-110-gallon aquarium livestock and all. My budget is probably a maximum of $8,000 but less than that is better. I was thinking of getting the Reefer Max 525 G2+System (112 gallon) or the Reefer Max 425 G2+System (91 gallon). Thoughts?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for that money build it your self you will get more for your money just my 2 cense

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for that money build it your self you will get more for your money just my 2 cense
You don't think the AIO Red Sea aquariums would be a better investment? I'm willing to pay more money if it's more reliable and better looking. If not, what would be a good DIY setup?

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a 90-120-gallon aquarium. I already have a 32.5-gallon tank and 3 years of experience. Just brainstorming my next project right now. I was wondering what the estimated total cost is for an almost self-sufficient fully maxed out around 90-110-gallon aquarium livestock and all. My budget is probably a maximum of $8,000 but less than that is better. I was thinking of getting the Reefer Max 525 G2+System (112 gallon) or the Reefer Max 425 G2+System (91 gallon). Thoughts?
I usually tell people that for a reef tank with livestock you should budget $30-$50 per gallon. Error on the high side. A little automation goes a long way.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 and couldn't be happier with it. I did purchase before they made you buy stand and sump with it.
I'm looking for something a little bigger than the 75 but the 100 does look nice. Do you think adding everything to the Innovative Marine would be more worth the money/cheaper than buying the Red Sea AIO?

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually tell people that for a reef tank with livestock you should budget $30-$50 per gallon. Error on the high side. A little automation goes a long way.
That's really helpful thanks! What tank would you recommend? I liked the look of those Red Sea tanks but not sure if they're worth the cost.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for something a little bigger than the 75 but the 100 does look nice. Do you think adding everything to the Innovative Marine would be more worth the money/cheaper than buying the Red Sea AIO?
I was just saying I had innovative tank not recommending the size. I myself wouldn't go the AIO route just because your limiting yourself to expansion, IMO

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90g system before I upgraded to kessil was done for about $1000. Large part of budget will be how much of the hype you buy into as well as maintenance goals.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really helpful thanks! What tank would you recommend? I liked the look of those Red Sea tanks but not sure if they're worth the cost.
I have a red sea 130dd that I got on fb marketplace for $200 that was basically plug and play for a beginner tank. If you're comfortable with used gear then that's rhe way to go. Of you're patient you can get stuff for pennies on the dollar.

OP
OP
B

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea 130dd that I got on fb marketplace for $200 that was basically plug and play for a beginner tank. If you're comfortable with used gear then that's rhe way to go. Of you're patient you can get stuff for pennies on the dollar.
Yea, that's probably the route I'm going to go. Someone is selling a Red Sea 350 for $950 about 5 minutes from my house. Do you think that's a good deal or should I keep looking and waiting?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back