Aquarium Chemistry Question? Ask the Doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy -

What are the potential downfalls are high potassium levels in a reef tank? Also, if there are negative effects, what level would you consider “too high?”

Thanks!

I don't think we have much data on problems with elevated potassium. Seachem Vibrant salt mix has super high levels (well above 500 ppm at 35 ppt) and I'd want it to not be that high.

I think 450 ppm is likely fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Randy, what is your opinion on dosing frequency

1. A little several times a day
2. More each time and less times a day but spread out.
3. Same as 2 but close together
4. all at once and only once a day
5. it doesn't matter/

The more often, the better. How often is 'needed" depends on the tank and how much demand (in alk dKH per day) is being dosed. :)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was at a club event a few years ago, Justin Credabel spoke about keeping montis and said that he has elevated potassium to over 1000 ppm with no discernible side effects.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was at a club event a few years ago, Justin Credabel spoke about keeping montis and said that he has elevated potassium to over 1000 ppm with no discernible side effects.

Was that intentional, or an accident?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was that intentional, or an accident?
Never heard about the montis but I think he believes it benefits his goniopora tanks (or maybe all corals, I forget) and keeps super high levels intentionally like 700 if I recall. Saw him mention it during a macna talk about coral grafting/fusion/goniopora. He explained what he thought it did but I forget. Something to do with a trifecta of potassium/hydrogen peroxide/and maybe one more thing. It's a really interesting talk regardless, everyone should check it out if they haven't seen it. I think I'll re-watch it as well. I personally keep potassium at around 420 so that I have a little buffer incase it starts to drop and I don't catch it quickly. I've seen issues with sps and low potassium but never had it higher than 420 so have no idea what it would do.

Here's a link:

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

If I were to use a 2-part epoxy like PC-11 to fix a broken pump, once fully cured, would the epoxy be safe to submerge in a reef tank? A lot of companies will not definitively say one way or the other on this and I just wanted to get your take on it. My concern is that the cured epoxy could leach chemicals into the water column after the fact. I appreciate any insight on this.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not a metal filled epoxy (siliver colored usually), it is probably OK. It will continue to release small amounts of unreactive monomers, but those are often not very water soluble and probably not not toxic at low levels.

oddomatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is not a metal filled epoxy (siliver colored usually), it is probably OK. It will continue to release small amounts of unreactive monomers, but those are often not very water soluble and probably not not toxic at low levels.

Thank you Randy.

swedishreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one knows how to lower dkh? I have about 18 and i think thats why my leathers dont look to good

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one knows how to lower dkh? I have about 18 and i think thats why my leathers dont look to good
Your leathers might be melting at 18 dkh lol. I would verify with another test kit. If it is actually 18 dkh, gradually bring it down with water changes using a lower dkh salt. How did it get that high? Do you dose?

swedishreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your leathers might be melting at 18 dkh lol. I would verify with another test kit. If it is actually 18 dkh, gradually bring it down with water changes using a lower dkh salt. How did it get that high? Do you dose?
Nope i dont dose at all but someone thought it could be becous when i started my new tank i used mostly tapwater. I have 3 kits 2 say 18dkh and the hanna tester is maxed out says 300. My toadstol have gradually shrinked for like 5 months in my old tank

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope i dont dose at all but someone thought it could be becous when i started my new tank i used mostly tapwater. I have 3 kits 2 say 18dkh and the hanna tester is maxed out says 300. My toadstol have gradually shrinked for like 5 months in my old tank

I mean it's possible I think tap can be like 10+ dkh. How long has the tank been up? Do you do water changes? If so do you continue to use tap?

If not just do water changes with rodi/saltwater until it's down to 8-12 dkh. I would do one large one to start if you can. Normally I'd say gradually bring it down but 18 is crazy high. Wait to see what Randy says though.

swedishreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean it's possible I think tap can be like 10+ dkh. How long has the tank been up? Do you do water changes? If so do you continue to use tap?

If not just do water changes with rodi/saltwater until it's down to 8-12 dkh. I would do one large one to start if you can. Normally I'd say gradually bring it down but 18 is crazy high. Wait to see what Randy says though.
Okay well i moved all my rock fish and coral over to a bigger tank and i wanted 100% new saltwater in it but didnt have that much ro water so i used tap from my well. This was 3 days ago so havent changed any water yet

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

swedishreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water can have a lot of alkalinity.

To lower it now either requires waiting for it to decline naturally, or add a mineral acid tot eh aquarium (HCl, H2SO4, or HSO4-).

The pH drops like a rock adding acid to deplete alkalinity, so it must be done slowly.

Here are some threads describing how to do it:

Sodium Bisulfate
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...in-new-salt-water-or-in-display-tanks.362825/

Muriatic acid:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reducing-alkalinity.339109/#post-4214464
Thankyou so much! i couldnt find an answear on how to lower it anywear only raise it . [emoji4][emoji106]

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any cons to adding vinegar to my Kalk in ato. 2 tspns per gallon isn’t keeping up with my tanks demands. I’m still having to dose around 28ml of 2 part daily. And... would adding the vinegar and that extra tspn of Kalk possibly keep up with that much demand without me having to also dose 2 part or should I just use 2 part. I’m not really worried about the ph boost.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any cons to adding vinegar to my Kalk in ato. 2 tspns per gallon isn’t keeping up with my tanks demands. I’m still having to dose around 28ml of 2 part daily. And... would adding the vinegar and that extra tspn of Kalk possibly keep up with that much demand without me having to also dose 2 part or should I just use 2 part. I’m not really worried about the ph boost.

It's a fine thing to try. The primary drawback is the organic carbon dosing of the vinegar which may reduce nutrients more than you want (or not).

That said, I think organic carbon dosing has benefits beyond nutrient reduction, such as the bacteria providing food for many organisms.

Increasing the potency by 50% (adding a third teaspoon) in 1 gallon of top off water is the same as 41.4 mL of my recipe #1 (as from BRS). So it might work if you add a gallon or close to it each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back