Aquarium Emergency

  • Thread starter Thread starter prim0c
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

prim0c

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2014
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

First time poster, but I read up here quite often. I woke up to an emergency this morning, and need your advice

The light in my hood above my 55 gal (an AI) broke free and I found it in the aquarium this morning. When I pulled it out it was making a buzzing electrical sound and did not smell good. Since then, my protein skimmer has been going CRAZY generating foam. Ive emptied it at least twice already. I know this cant be good. My roomie also pointed out that there is brownness forming at the base of some of my soft coral. namely a toadstool and a kenya tree.

The fish in the aquarium appear to be fine. But im trying to figure out what my necessary course of action is. What do you suggest that I do? What do you think happened to the life?

Thanks,
A
 
If you aren't running carbon, then you need to. I would also do a large water change. At least 15 gallons. There could be some chemical pollutants in the tank water now. It is hard to say exactly what effect it will have on the livestock.
 
You could also use an ammonia locking device to detoxify the elevated ammonia levels. Suck as ammo lock.
 
Hopefully things got better. Sounds like the lights are a goner as well. As others have said, water change, carbon, and hope for the best.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new