Aquarium flow tip: What type of return nozzle do you use in your tank?

What type of return nozzle do you use in your tank?

• Random Flow Generator (RFG)

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Other commercial flow nozzle

Votes: 89 31.8%
  • PVC pipe or fitting

Votes: 50 17.9%
  • Modified PVC

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3D printed custom nozzle

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 24 8.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquarium flow tip: What type of return nozzle do you use in your tank?

We spend a lot of time talking about return pumps, discussing flow in our tanks, and even figuring out plumbing, but what about the return nozzle where the water exits the plumbing from return pump and flows back into the tank to complete the cycle of water through the sump and back to the display. Beyond the conversation of turbulent, linear, planar, stream or any other descriptor used to describe the flow pattern, what is the last piece that the water flows through before it returns to the main aquarium? It may be a Random Flow Generator (RFG), another commercial flow nozzle, or a piece of PVC. There are also custom-made custom nozzles in various shapes, such as a 4-leaf clover pattern, that are 3D printed or modified PVC. Please tell us what type of return nozzle you use in your tank. Additionally, feel free to share if there is a return nozzle feature or design feature that you would like, but haven’t seen it available.

WWWLou_ReturnNozzle.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png

"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities"

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the regular line lock return that came with the tank. I also have a closed loop system for flow. The return pump for the closed loop has a pulse mode that I use for random flow. The closed loop just uses 3/4 inch PVC 90 elbow.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use vivid creative Random flow nozzles which assist with water distribution and flow.

1694014432472.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On two of my tanks I just use the nozzle that came with the tank and on my other tank it’s a small piece of pvc that I heated and formed into a nozzle.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A subject that is near an dear to me :)

1694016170306.png
Obviously, we use the Random Flow Generator® on every aquarium in our office. In fact, there isn't a single power head in the building.

Or current tank list includes:
1694015582737.png

Every one of these tanks flow was created 100% by the random flow generator and the return pumps are closed loops.

Adding the random flow generator to any return line become extremely easy. We've basically put together the series of flow kits that include the most common adapters and fittings all I need to do is match your tank to one of the kits.

Multidapter_Overview.jpg And for those here using just straight PVC pipe, almost all of our Flow Kits come with adapters that fit directly the PVC pipe. They include our new Multidapter fittings which will fit a variety of different pipe sizes both directly to pipes, pipe sockets fittings, bulkheads and elbows.

Last edited:

eleslie3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an overhead pvc main line with 4 branches using ball valves and loc lines. only one random flow head, might get another

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm using a PArlaNoz3Qtr
and a yet unreleased ParlaNoz1Half

I cant tell the difference with all these random flow nozzles. I just made mine asymmetric so it can sit closer to the waterline.

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A subject that is near an dear to me :)

1694016170306.png
Obviously, we use the Random Flow Generator® on every aquarium in our office. In fact, there isn't a single power head in the building.

Or current tank list includes:
1694015582737.png

Every one of these tanks flow was created 100% by the random flow generator and the return pumps are closed loops.

Adding the random flow generator to any return line become extremely easy. We've basically put together the series of flow kits that include the most common adapters and fittings all I need to do is match your tank to one of the kits.

Multidapter_Overview.jpg And for those here using just straight PVC pipe, almost all of our Flow Kits come with adapters that fit directly the PVC pipe. They include our new Multidapter fittings which will fit a variety of different pipe sizes both directly to pipes, pipe sockets fittings, bulkheads and elbows.
luv mine yall!

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the siphon Stopper return nozzles from Custom Aquariums.com:

It has a bleed out that sits above the water level so that when the return pump is shut off it sucks air and prevents ongoing back siphons. I've tested it a few times and it works pretty well. No check valves on my setup just siphon stopper return nozzles.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nozzles have an effect on flow rate and some manufacturers (Waterbox) use specific nozzles to equalize flow on split returns. Take this into consideration before you throw on your buddies 3D printed nozzles.

1694022012300.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back