Aquarium Plumbing for Two Overflows Questions

i believe with the triton method you want at least 10x flow..

OP should check into this to make sure proper flow can be obtained to run that system. Not sure how much flow can be optained from two overflows.
 
If you don't mind over-the back returns I would do this.
 
If your going to 1/2 a** a Herbie overflow then I wouldn’t bother. A lot of people like to run the water level high in the DT. The tank not overflowing by running this way depends on how high the DT is, how much water is in the return chamber of the sump, and how big your ATO is. My ATO is almost 10 gallons by it self granted it will shut off and not empty the tank out but if the shut should fail I could potentially get all that water. Some people have there RO/DI topping off their ATO tank. I would not let the water drop very far over the overflow box because you can end up with a water fall sound. I alao would not run vertical pipe off the overflow like that because it’s going to be harder to get the air out of the pipe when priming the system. In general you don’t want a valve on the emergency pipe unless it’s just there to take the pipe apart. Another thing to note is if your pump runs dry for any real length of time you could burn it out.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new