Aquarium salt preferance

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some opinions on salt preferance, I started my tank with instant ocean salt with the fish in mind but as of late have become more interested in the coral side of things and was curious to know if there is a "preferred" salt for such. Also I'm aware that salt alone isn't the key and that their may be additives required based on livestock so any info on that based on varied corals would be of use as well.
Thanks.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run regular IO and I have corals. Seems to mix up quickly. I do add Mag and Cal to it before adding it back into the tank at water change time. For 15 gallons of makeup water I add 100mL of Cal and about 200mL of Mag.

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use salinity salt, i run bio-pellets and need to keep a lower alk. so this salt is lab tested and mixes at my desired levels without having to worry about params swings with W/C.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that the regular(not the coral pro) Red Sea salt has been working well for quite a few in the club.

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean just the regular one, have always used it works fine for me :D

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using reef Crystals at the moment. I like the way the salt is packaged in the 4 bags in the 200G box. when I have to add some salt, I can then reseal the bag with a vacuum sealer. I also used the Oceanic salt too and it worked well. I liked that it was a very fine powder and that it came in a nice 6 gallon bucket. I have 4 or 5 nice usable buckets thanks to that salt.

also, being in a very remote area I have all mine shipped in. it is nice to get a 200 gallon box shipped to my door for under $55 total.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals. Tried regular IO but couldnt keep cal and alk stable so went back to RC and happier now.

OP
OP
quigimon

quigimon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a Black Friday list together, I might get lucky and find a sale online, that hitting the stores is for the birds.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run salinity. It is priced to mix 225 gal at 1.026 so when u do the math it's quite a bit more than a bucket that mixes to 1.023. For the price I get it it's cheaper than reef crystals and equal or better quality. Don't listen to peeps saying run cheap salt. There is science behind the reasons not to.

p woodard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run salinity also and the old saying is true you get what you pay for. I used instant ocean for years

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run salinity. It is priced to mix 225 gal at 1.026 so when u do the math it's quite a bit more than a bucket that mixes to 1.023. For the price I get it it's cheaper than reef crystals and equal or better quality. Don't listen to peeps saying run cheap salt. There is science behind the reasons not to.

science put out by the company trying to sell the salt lol. IO and red sea are both notable brands. many high end sps tanks run IO as well as notable aquarist.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quigmon. Pet solutions regularly has $5 shipping on their salt. Dr fosters and Smith (CLUB SPONSOR) normally has Free shipping over $50. box of RC salt is like $46 so throw on some Food and you are golden.

Bishop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, Instant Ocean reef crystals only contains more calcium. Without a large amount of stony coral to take advantage of this, there is no point to using it. I use regular instant ocean mostly because it is convienent. It's the one salt that you can get anywhere in a pinch. I add purple-UP for added calcium and trace iodine and really seem to notice a difference compared to when I don't add it. A little Iodine seems to go a long way.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 65 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back