Aquarium Salt

tarnold05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have searched a lot of websites and have not quite found what I need. I bought aquarium salt and I am not sure if i can put it in the tank while the fish is in it or only if the tank is empty? Please help lol

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt can help with FW disease. Does the goldfish have fin rot now?

3 gallons is pretty darn small for a goldfish, and it makes it tough to keep water quality up. Did you cycle the tank, and are your parameters, especially ammonia, okay?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have aquarium salt for my goldfish that is supposed to reduce stress and help with fin rot. It’s a 3 gallon tank.
I have no real idea whether this will help your goldfish. I would follow the directions on the specific package of salt that you bought. However that said - if you mix it with fresh water and add a bit every couple hours until getting to the level they recommend - it's probably ok.

Edit - as @Spare time said - antibiotics are the usual treatment (if) fish rot is present

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To best help your goldfish, get it in a larger tank. There really aren’t any fish that would do well in a 3 gallon bowl, except maybe the smallest gobies.
If you get it into a 75 gallon (at the very least - a 6 foot 125 being better) you’d be surprised how much healthier it will become. In freshwater systems, many problems can be alleviated by improving living conditions first.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To best help your goldfish, get it in a larger tank. There really aren’t any fish that would do well in a 3 gallon bowl, except maybe the smallest gobies.
If you get it into a 75 gallon (at the very least - a 6 foot 125 being better) you’d be surprised how much healthier it will become. In freshwater systems, many problems can be alleviated by improving living conditions first.
Thats a great point - I meant to ask the size of the goldfish. No matter what the size is today, it will be a lot bigger in 2 years

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back