Aquarium Seal - Should I be concerned

wakeboardgeek

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2011
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just water tested my plumbing and as I'm draining the tank, I noticed this on two of the seams (see pic). Should I be concerned?

There were no leaks during the initial water test but don't want to bring it into the house to have it break. What should I do?

silicone_issue.jpg
 
Noticed what? I see an unsmooth bead of black caulk (not sure why it isn't smooth), but please explain what your exact concern is.
 
Noticed what? I see an unsmooth bead of black caulk (not sure why it isn't smooth), but please explain what your exact concern is.

Prior to water testing the bead of caulk was smooth. After draining the tank, the bead of caulk was frilly and coming up. It doesn't seem to be all the way to she edges but I just want to make sure it won't come apart when it's in the house.

I think I'm going to play it safe and reseal the tank though. So bummed!
 
Prior to water testing the bead of caulk was smooth. After draining the tank, the bead of caulk was frilly and coming up. It doesn't seem to be all the way to she edges but I just want to make sure it won't come apart when it's in the house.

If the silicon was smooth before filling the tank then that tells me it was not fully cured or the glass was not cleaned! Due to this I would reseal it if it was my tank and use acetone to clean off the old residue before adding new.
 
No this was not a new tank. After the silicone dried for 24 hours, most of the ruffles worked themselves out. I think I'll be resealing the tank to be safe.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new