Aquarium Shrimp for a Nano Tank

TacticalKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I would love to keep a few additional shrimp in my nano reef tank. Would it be possible to have 1 cleaner, 2 peppermint, and a few sexy shrimp in the tank without any problems like overstocking or hostility?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends. How big is your nano? What are the dimensions? What filtration is on it? What does the aquascape look like?

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably a no to a cleaner. I think people really underestimate the size of cleaners when they are fully grown - I've seen one in my lfs display tank with whiskers almost half a foot long making the whole shrimp almost a foot (including whiskers). Also I'm fairly sure whiskers arent the right word but I forgot what it is lol.
Sexy shrimp is the best shout, or an anemone crab if you have a nem. Boxer crabs are awesome too

OP
OP
T

TacticalKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That depends. How big is your nano? What are the dimensions? What filtration is on it? What does the aquascape look like?
The tank is a standard 10 gallon with roughly 10 pounds of rock, there are a few caves behind, in, and beneath the rocks and the filter is a 50p AquaClear filter.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably a no to a cleaner. I think people really underestimate the size of cleaners when they are fully grown - I've seen one in my lfs display tank with whiskers almost half a foot long making the whole shrimp almost a foot (including whiskers). Also I'm fairly sure whiskers arent the right word but I forgot what it is lol.
Sexy shrimp is the best shout, or an anemone crab if you have a nem. Boxer crabs are awesome too
Antennae?

I think that a collection of sexy shrimp, and then the peppermint shrimp might do well, but I worry about predation of the sexy shrimp from any larger shrimp, especially during molting season and if you aren't feeding them a lot.

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a lot of shrimp in such a small tank. what other inverts and/or fish do you have in that tank?

I have a cleaner shrimp in one of my 20 gallon tanks and im already thinking of moving him out of it because he got so big and looks like a giant compared to everything else in the tank. Only my firefish will let him clean him. My clowns and wrasse will not let the shrimp clean them at all but that doesn't stop the shrimp from trying. Which annoys those fish. Plus he will steal food from any corals and also irritate them

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon. My cleaner shrimp tramples over the whole tank including corals. He’s a serious food thief as well and even cruises on the surface to get to it lol. IMO he’s prolly better suited to a larger tank but he does provide a lot of activity and is definitely fun.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back