Worm on a killing spree?

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that my soft corals (mostly mushrooms) are recently irritated. Additionally overnight my sexy shrimp suddenly disappeared after 6 months. I saw a few days before that I have a few worms crawling at night. Would it be possible that fireworm is there causing the issue to my soft corals and attacked sexy shrimp? I am planning to set up a trap tonight to catch the culprit.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed that my soft corals (mostly mushrooms) are recently irritated. Additionally overnight my sexy shrimp suddenly disappeared after 6 months. I saw a few days before that I have a few worms crawling at night. Would it be possible that fireworm is there causing the issue to my soft corals and attacked sexy shrimp? I am planning to set up a trap tonight to catch the culprit.
Need to see a picture of the worm. Common bristleworms would not be an issue but you may have something more predatory

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to see a picture of the worm. Common bristleworms would not be an issue but you may have something more predatory
I have managed to capture a few on video. I believe I may have more than one worm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_160444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_160444_Gallery.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240407_160434_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_160434_Gallery.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240208_191609.jpg
    20240208_191609.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like common bristle worms. Did you get live rock from the ocean?
No, all the rocks were from the store and dried. Presumably came with a coral form one of stores. I noticed that there are a few worms in various parts of the tank. Not sure whether for the safety I should try to get rid of all of them if I can trap

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, all the rocks were from the store and dried. Presumably came with a coral form one of stores. I noticed that there are a few worms in various parts of the tank. Not sure whether for the safety I should try to get rid of all of them if I can trap
Look elsewhere for your issue. They are bristleworms and part of a well rounded cuc. I dont like the look of them and in the past used to take them out but they do some heavy lifting. If they are eating something it is dying or dead.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look elsewhere for your issue. They are bristleworms and part of a well rounded cuc. I dont like the look of them and in the past used to take them out but they do some heavy lifting. If they are eating something it is dying or dead.
In that case the shrimp most likely died and was eaten. Moreover, the mushrooms were affected by the light schedule change so I should leave them as they are? I was quite surprised that one of the worm is pretty big so wasn't sure if can cause any issues.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case the shrimp most likely died and was eaten. Moreover, the mushrooms were affected by the light schedule change so I should leave them as they are? I was quite surprised that one of the worm is pretty big so wasn't sure if can cause any issues.
Nope they remain loyal reef servants.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I may leave them to stay in the tank. I noticed that mushrooms had tiny white patches and I think they were irritated by the temporary light schedule which was too much for them.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are small worms crawling around my mushroom. Presumably its baby bristle and I should leave it. The mushroom is a little bit irritated, but maybe because its touching it. As you can see the other mushroom have small white patch which I believe was cause by the light schedule change.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407_174506_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407_174506_Gallery.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240407_174438.jpg
    20240407_174438.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a better pic under white light. I believe the shroomd were affected by the light changes rather than worms.

Attachments

• 20240407_183145.jpg
    20240407_183145.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 12

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm on the red shroom doesnt look like a standard bristle worm. I'd see if you can get a better pic of it. May be some other kind of eunicid worm (big family full of good, mehh, and bad), bristle worms are part of that family.
The last pic of the shroom looks like it has either been in the dark to long or possibly bleached from to much light. Was it a different color before the change in lighting? I think the spots are from its normal texture.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worm on the red shroom doesnt look like a standard bristle worm. I'd see if you can get a better pic of it. May be some other kind of eunicid worm (big family full of good, mehh, and bad), bristle worms are part of that family.
The last pic of the shroom looks like it has either been in the dark to long or possibly bleached from to much light. Was it a different color before the change in lighting? I think the spots are from its normal texture.
I had increased amount of the royal blue/blue and violet color. It was additional 1-2 hours and intensity increased from 20 to I believe 60%. That was the only thing that has been changed, so could affect the mushrooms. Regarding worms I decided to not place any traps overnight and just leave it. I may set up a night cam to see a video overnight if something suspicious is happening

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back