aquarium silicone question

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
1,308
Reaction score
946
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i know i should use GE II silicone for aquarium use but here's my question. I have a large 250g tank and i'm thinking about redoing the silicone on it. It doesnt have any leaks or anything but since its all dry right now and not in use i'm wondering if its worth redoing or not. if so, what silicone should i use.

any help on this is much appreciated

Thanks
 
DO NOT USE GE SILICONE II! It's GE Silicone I that you want to use. If all you are doing is re-sealing the tank, the GE produce will be just fine. If you are "gluing" or re-gluing the glass, than one of the RTV's are what you want to use....RTV 103 or RTV 108
 
Oh don't use GE II. Ok. Yeah I just think I should reseal it on the inside not regular the glass
 
DO NOT USE GE SILICONE II! It's GE Silicone I that you want to use. If all you are doing is re-sealing the tank, the GE produce will be just fine. If you are "gluing" or re-gluing the glass, than one of the RTV's are what you want to use....RTV 103 or RTV 108

He knows what hes talking about. I highly recommend using the RTV. I used it when building my Nano tank and worked without issue.
 
I would rather have the tank as-is then mess with redoing all of the joints unless you are experienced siliconing glass. You have to remove 100% of the old silicon on the entire inside of the tank. Also need to remove the top frame. Then reseal it. Tanks that size are guarenteed for life. Is there some reason to suspect it is failing? If not, leave it alone.
 
All great advice. Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked. I don't suspect it to leak. Was just curious if I should redo it or not. Looks like I shouldn't.
Thanks again everyone
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new