Aquarium silicone seems question

Trefaca

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2026
Messages
44
Reaction score
13
Location
Ireland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I have noticed while cleaning my tank that there's algea on silicone it self and some under but it easily brushes off with toothbrush I was wondering when do I need to be concerned about silicone since even now some bristles can go ab bit under the silicone?

IMG_20260621_194226.jpg IMG_20260621_194211.jpg IMG_20260621_193151.jpg
 
In my experience that's typical on tanks with clear silicon. I don't believe it's much cause for concern as far as leaking, I've had tanks like decades old that look like that. But it's not great to look at, and I don't know a way to get rid of it 🤪
 
In my experience that's typical on tanks with clear silicon. I don't believe it's much cause for concern as far as leaking, I've had tanks like decades old that look like that. But it's not great to look at, and I don't know a way to get rid of it 🤪
Okay glad to hear it the toothbrush does the job but I don't want to be cleaning it all the time just in case that it would impact something silicone adhesive
 
And would you think it's okay even if the bristles go under the silicone like 1mm in some parts or does it mean that silicone was compromised?
 
And would you think it's okay even if the bristles go under the silicone like 1mm in some parts or does it mean that silicone was compromised?
I think you're fine, but let's ask @UncommonSense 🙂
 
And would you think it's okay even if the bristles go under the silicone like 1mm in some parts or does it mean that silicone was compromised?
As long as you aren’t getting those bristles into the silicone directly between the glass panes, you should be fine!

The extra silicone on the tank interior is there to protect the structural seams, and is often damaged over the lifespan of a tank!
 
As long as you aren’t getting those bristles into the silicone directly between the glass panes, you should be fine!

The extra silicone on the tank interior is there to protect the structural seams, and is often damaged over the lifespan of a tank!
Thank you and everybody else for your answers👍🏻
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new