Aquarium Specialty Live Sale begins soon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.5" blue squammy, that aint going to last long. Very nice.

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said a couple hours - we are 1.25 hours in - How long should I plan on sticking around to see the whole sale?

C4rN4gE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After hearing Sanjays lecture at MACNA, as long as you have the PAR and the color range needed for the zooxanthellae, you should be good to go. But you have match the bulb spectrum to what the zooxanthellae need.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my clams under t-5s - I have heard some recommend only mhs but I have growth on mine, so I think they are doing fine

yah, i think led, T5 and MH can all have success. Stability seems to be #1 but of course proper lighting is important too. I'm no clam expert tho, that's for sure.

OP
OP
AquariumSpecialty

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to last a little longer thanks to AT&T. We are back up for now but the wife called while I was sorting things out with the ipad an they told her we would be down all weekend. Hopefully they were wrong...

Last edited:

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do crocea's come in all different colors too? I've only seen majority with blue and crazy patterns.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the cheaper croceas are more purple than blue. Pretty common for them to have brown/gold in the patern as well.

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Kawicivic

You are welcome.

Also - some people debate about where to place certain types of clams. I have my crocea on my rocks about halfway up my tank. I have a 180g with 8 t5s. My crocea seems to grow faster than my Maxima which tells me that it is better placed. Based on my research, maximas prefer placement in the sand over rocks, but once again, I have seen debates on this as well.

Maybe some others will chime in.

Clams are very cool. They are one of the few things that "outsiders" pick out and recognize in a tank. They also think its really cool when they move. I get so tired of people pointing out snails and hermit crabs asking about them, but I like when they do the same with the clams. Dang, outsiders! lol

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow i wish i had a bigger tank right now.

Kawicivic, from what i've read Maxima and Crocea are rock boring clams which is why they say they think they prefer rock over substrate. But since bare bottom tanks have success with all types of clams I think it may be up to the individual aquarium's lighting and flow as to clam placement. This is my thinking anyway.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally maxima and crocea should both be up in the rockwork, though can be fine just about anywhere as long as they have a place to attach their byssal threads. ll types of clams will do fine with T5's as long as you have good bulbs such as those made by ATI and proper individual reflectors.

You are welcome.

Also - some people debate about where to place certain types of clams. I have my crocea on my rocks about halfway up my tank. I have a 180g with 8 t5s. My crocea seems to grow faster than my Maxima which tells me that it is better placed. Based on my research, maximas prefer placement in the sand over rocks, but once again, I have seen debates on this as well.

Clams are very cool. They are one of the few things that "outsiders" pick out and recognize in a tank. They also think its really cool when they move. I get so tired of people pointing out snails and hermit crabs asking about them, but I like when they do the same with the clams. Dang, outsiders! lol

OP
OP
AquariumSpecialty

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome.

Yea, no doubt. People use to see my SPS dominated tank (years ago) and that would point at a large valonia and ask about it? Dang outsiders :).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back