Aquarium Stand Debate

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First welcome to R2R! I vote for the credenza if it’s between the af stand or the credenza. There’s a third option however. If you are good with tools you could build your own stand. If you make a 2x4 frame and use wood glue along with clamps and screws until it dries you’ll have a stand you could park a small car on. I’m serious. You’d be able to tap dance on it and it wouldn’t miss a beat. You could also customize it in ways you just can’t unless you DIY. There’s a DIY forum on here in fact.

We're glad you joined! I hope you start a build thread. I’d love be to see your reef as it progresses.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A08EE8EC-C740-4ED6-AD0B-72100AECF96D.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all it is my first time here but have been reading and learning a lot with you for the past year, so many successes and setbacks but still going strong on this reef journey! After having a 15 gallon for a year I decided to upgrade to a 30 gallon IM Fusion Pro 2, I think that is the max I can fit in my small New York apartment without having to compromise space. So my 15 gallon has been seating on top of this credenza from CB2 (https://www.cb2.com/suspend-media-console/f17081) for a year now without any issues, the thing is made of solid wood, and marble on top 1/2 inch solid wood, 1/2 inch marble, in the middle another one-inch solid wood diving it, and on the bottom 1/2 inch solid metal, iron on all four sides, and across. Now with my new 30 gallon I am afraid to use this credenza so I decided to buy a proper Aquarium stand, and bought the Aquatic Fundamentals 50 Gallon Stand Model 19501. Today I was about to set up the stand but when I opened the box, for my surprise the thing is not sturdy at all, just cheap composite wood without the support in the middle only on the sides. Do you think I would be ok with my credenza from CB2? I added some pictures, sorry for the mess.

thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg 1.jpg AF 50 Gallon.png thumbnail_image3.jpg
Funny, I am debating the IM 30 or 40L...and my hold up has been stand as well. My issue/concern is that having a stand with no room to 'work' on tank will feel weird. Currently have a 16g on a CB(!) dresser which is plenty sturdy...and I like having the room to put test kits, towels, trays etc when I'm playing in the tank.

that credenza probably more solid than any cheap stand for sure tho.

Welcome! Glad you joined. If you stick with your existing furniture, one tip I'll share is pickup one of those plastic table clothes like your grandma used to use - Walmart still sells them and likely you can get them other places. It makes great protector for the top... but it is 'tacky' so I fold it under so the furniture front shows thru. The front folded lip hangs out about 1/2 inch to stop any front drips.... and while I thought I let it drape down the sides, it only drapes down the back as it is also folded with an overhang on the sides (guess I thought that looked tacky too).

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

sidel80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all it is my first time here but have been reading and learning a lot with you for the past year, so many successes and setbacks but still going strong on this reef journey! After having a 15 gallon for a year I decided to upgrade to a 30 gallon IM Fusion Pro 2, I think that is the max I can fit in my small New York apartment without having to compromise space. So my 15 gallon has been seating on top of this credenza from CB2 (https://www.cb2.com/suspend-media-console/f17081) for a year now without any issues, the thing is made of solid wood, and marble on top 1/2 inch solid wood, 1/2 inch marble, in the middle another one-inch solid wood diving it, and on the bottom 1/2 inch solid metal, iron on all four sides, and across. Now with my new 30 gallon I am afraid to use this credenza so I decided to buy a proper Aquarium stand, and bought the Aquatic Fundamentals 50 Gallon Stand Model 19501. Today I was about to set up the stand but when I opened the box, for my surprise the thing is not sturdy at all, just cheap composite wood without the support in the middle only on the sides. Do you think I would be ok with my credenza from CB2? I added some pictures, sorry for the mess.

thumbnail_image2.jpg thumbnail_image4.jpg thumbnail_image1.jpg 1.jpg AF 50 Gallon.png thumbnail_image3.jpg
Hi! Did you end up using the credenza? I have the same exact one and wondering if it can handle a 75g!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back