Aquarium stand design modern

  • Thread starter Thread starter TriGa22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TriGa22

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
56
Reaction score
23
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas how to build a stand with 2x4 framing that could have the look of a Red Sea stand with no added trim pieces? I like the look of doors taking up the entire stand size but how would you mount the doors if you had a L shape 2x4 in each corner. Pics found online of general design and what I’d like it to look like

IMG_9408.jpeg IMG_9409.jpeg IMG_9410.jpeg
 
Any ideas how to build a stand with 2x4 framing that could have the look of a Red Sea stand with no added trim pieces? I like the look of doors taking up the entire stand size but how would you mount the doors if you had a L shape 2x4 in each corner. Pics found online of general design and what I’d like it to look like

IMG_9408.jpeg IMG_9409.jpeg IMG_9410.jpeg
I just put together a Fiji Cube stand with similar cabinetry last week!

You’re looking for “pocket hinges”, aka “concealed hinges”

IMG_7805.png
 
Pocket Hinges are the way to go. You'll need I believe a 35mm Forsner bit for the pocket holes.
 
I just put together a Fiji Cube stand with similar cabinetry last week!

You’re looking for “pocket hinges”, aka “concealed hinges”

IMG_7805.png
When I have used those before they’re either face frame or frameless. In this case the 2x4 puts the hinge mounting location a few inches away from the end of the cabinet and that is my proposed ‘hiccup’ do you know how to get around this?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9410.jpeg
    IMG_9410.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 69
When I have used those before they’re either face frame or frameless. In this case the 2x4 puts the hinge mounting location a few inches away from the end of the cabinet and that is my proposed ‘hiccup’ do you know how to get around this?
There are pocket hinges with long center “arms”, designed to make the hinge side of the cabinet door open away from the cabinet for swing clearance; allowing the hinge mounting point to be several inches inboard from the edge of the door!
 
When I have used those before they’re either face frame or frameless. In this case the 2x4 puts the hinge mounting location a few inches away from the end of the cabinet and that is my proposed ‘hiccup’ do you know how to get around this?
The easiest way I can think of would be to remove the trim on both sides and replace with pieces that are about 1.2" wider to make room for mounting the hinges on the same plane as the back of the doors.

Or you could use something like this. Not 100% hidden, but pretty darn close, and you won't need to modify any of your existing work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new