Aquarium Storage

  • Thread starter Thread starter DS204
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DS204

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
367
Reaction score
409
Location
Winnipeg, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of storing a brand new Red Sea aquarium in the garage for a year or two, and I'm wondering people's thoughts on how it may impact or affect the silicone (if at all).

Not planning on removing it from the crate, other than for an initial inspection. During the winter months the coldest the garage gets is 39 degrees Fahrenheit (4 Celsius) and during the summer months the warmest it gets is about 80 Fahrenheit (26 Celcius).

Most of the research I've done suggests that silicone is quite durable and can withstand a large range of temperatures.. But I am curious if anyone has any experience or not and how the silicone held up.

Appreciate anyone's input - thanks!
 
I have kept old Oceanic tanks in storage for 15 years or more and never seen any issue when refilling and or had one develop a leak. As long as it is a good quality silicone, I don't think it has any impact. Hopefully the newer Red Sea tanks are doing that.
 
I have kept old Oceanic tanks in storage for 15 years or more and never seen any issue when refilling and or had one develop a leak. As long as it is a good quality silicone, I don't think it has any impact. Hopefully the newer Red Sea tanks are doing that.
How did you store your tanks?
 
In a garage in Houston Tx, so no freezing conditions. I would also not leave them exposed to UV light (sunlight)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new