Aquarium Suggestion

Foxamus22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I appreciate any guidance. This will be my first aquarium. I have approximately $2,000 to buy the tank. Space isn’t an issue. The Red Sea tanks caught my eye. I’d like to have clown fish and another fish if I’m able to due to size. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos but would appreciate any guidance. Thanks again and looking forward to starting this process.

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if your interested in a system with a sump or an AIO (all in one)?
Waterbox has some of each that are really nice.
I've been looking at the Waterbox MARINE X 90.3, if I decide to pull the trigger it will be #3 :thinking-face:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would suggest to new folks to read a lot more than watching youtube videos, there really is a lot to learn, this will help:

Is $2000 the total budget, or just for the tank?

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll definitely want to decide between All in One or system with a sump as it will heavily affect your choices. Either way I'd look into Innovative Marine tanks if you're looking for turnkey (setup and go) systems. You could also look at going custom at that price if you have additional funds for plumbing/sump. Keep in mind that the tank is the cheapest part of the hobby. Lighting is killer these days, livestock is pricey and regular maintenance on large tanks can get up there as well.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search on the forum or Google, "Red Sea tank fails" before investing in one.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I appreciate any guidance. This will be my first aquarium. I have approximately $2,000 to buy the tank. Space isn’t an issue. The Red Sea tanks caught my eye. I’d like to have clown fish and another fish if I’m able to due to size. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos but would appreciate any guidance. Thanks again and looking forward to starting this process.
It will depend on equipment needs based on your tank desire (fish only, fish with live rock, mixed reef, etc)
Space is another consideration as will be total weight when filled.
There is all in one with built in sump chamber, reef ready with overflows and sump and equipment required.

Srfnhooker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine makes a solid product. Lots of different options and sizes to choose from. I have a Nuvo 75 EXT and I love it. Came with tank, stand, sump and pre assembled piping. I got it on sale thru BRS for around $2000 (not incl tax and ship).

Attachments

• 20231013_200654.jpg
    20231013_200654.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 37

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the tank. Thanks for the link.
What you may not realize is the actual tank often ends up being cheaper than the equipment you fill with. Hopefully your $2000 tank budget is paired with a similar amount for equipment. With that kind of budget you are looking at something around a 50-75G complete system like Innovative Marine/Waterbox/Red Sea. Those are the big 3 in that space. Other options are Fiji Cube, Aquaforest, Nyos, JBJ, If you are a DIY kind of person, you can piece together your own system for less money. Or you could opt for a custom tank and go a bit smaller, but end up with a higher quality product. For acrylic, I'd look into Tenecor. For a custom, I'd reach out to @Joe Glass Cages. As mentioned earlier, you first need to research sump systems vs. All-In-One and figure out which is best for you.

OP
OP
F

Foxamus22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. Definitely staying away from Red Sea. I was leaning toward the AIO over a sump but still trying to figure that out. Eager to get a tank but making sure I make the right choice.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest looking for a good deal on a used tank. I'm also a a bigger fan of sump systems over AIO as more water volume adds to stability.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and ofcourse you have a 3rd choice, which some people, like me, prefer tanks running on canister filters and HOB skimmers
IMG_2277.JPG

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest looking for a good deal on a used tank. I'm also a a bigger fan of sump systems over AIO as more water volume adds to stability.
With this budget I'm not sure I'd recommend used tbh. There's more work than people think that goes into making sure you're not getting a potential living room water bomb and on larger tanks especially the seams can have gone through a lot, especially with moves.

I just don't think it's worth the risk unless you're doing a DIY or budget build. They could definitely get a nice turnkey system on that budget and not worry about it for many years.

OP
OP
F

Foxamus22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the comments. Decided on a sump. right now I’m considering Innovative Marine EXT 50 gallon complete reef or the 75 version

OP
OP
F

Foxamus22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger works for me!! Happy they have the complete version too so it comes with the sump. Easier for me. I’ll post updates on. A separate thread as I get going. Going to take it slow since we just welcomed the 2nd baby to the family. Worth waiting till Black Friday? It’s 20% off right now.

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger works for me!! Happy they have the complete version too so it comes with the sump. Easier for me. I’ll post updates on. A separate thread as I get going. Going to take it slow since we just welcomed the 2nd baby to the family. Worth waiting till Black Friday? It’s 20% off right now.
If I'm not mistaken their BF deals are already live (up to 50% off) so I think it's as cheap as it'll get.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back