Aquarium thoughts

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all just wanted a general opinion or ideas for this clownfish tank I am setting up. Getting ready to add a pair of clownfish, 1 hawkfish, and 1 Royal gramma. Is this too much fish to add or is there better recommendations for tank mates Ammonia is at 0ppm. Nitrite is .2ppm

9200CD9C-96BE-4051-A805-14E17A1EFF43.jpeg

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all just wanted a general opinion or ideas for this clownfish tank I am setting up. Getting ready to add a pair of clownfish, 1 hawkfish, and 1 Royal gramma. Is this too much fish to add or is there better recommendations for tank mates Ammonia is at 0ppm. Nitrite is .2ppm

9200CD9C-96BE-4051-A805-14E17A1EFF43.jpeg
Still waiting till Nitrite is cleared to change 10 gallons and then proceed with the fish addition

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I not add the gramma and hawkfish at the same
Time as the clown?
Adding together can help with aggression but is also a large bio load increase. Best to add one or two and see how they do.

I'm more worried by the hawkfish. I'd add it last. They can be quite aggressive. I'd also suggest the longnose as they are a little more mellow.
Also if you want any gobies or shrimp you definitely want them before the hawk. Clowns and gramma are tough and you can add whenever. Clowns can get aggressive but it takes awhile usually.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding together can help with aggression but is also a large bio load increase. Best to add one or two and see how they do.

I'm more worried by the hawkfish. I'd add it last. They can be quite aggressive. I'd also suggest the longnose as they are a little more mellow.
Also if you want any gobies or shrimp you definitely want them before the hawk. Clowns and gramma are tough and you can add whenever. Clowns can get aggressive but it takes awhile usually.
I was thinking of other fish over the hawkfish do you have any recommendations of one last fish that would fit nicely with clowns gramma and chromis thank you

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about something for the bottom? Try a goby. Yellow watchman, clown goby, neon, court jester, orange spot, etc. There's a ton to choose from. Some will pair with a pistol shrimp too if that interests you.

Also I suggest a cleaner shrimp if you're not getting a hawk fish.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about something for the bottom? Try a goby. Yellow watchman, clown goby, neon, court jester, orange spot, etc. There's a ton to choose from. Some will pair with a pistol shrimp too if that interests you.

Also I suggest a cleaner shrimp if you're not getting a hawk fish.
Thank you would a pistol shrimp cause problems with a cleaner shrimp? I like small goby becuase I heard they tend to stay near the sand more is there any other fish you would recommend alongside a goby so they don’t hit her the clowns to much

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you would a pistol shrimp cause problems with a cleaner shrimp? I like small goby becuase I heard they tend to stay near the sand more is there any other fish you would recommend alongside a goby so they don’t hit her the clowns to much
No the shrimp will be fine. They're both pretty harmless. I'd suggest a skunk cleaner as they're fun and active.
Yes, gobies are good for you because they live on or near the sand and wouldn't compete with your other fish.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No the shrimp will be fine. They're both pretty harmless. I'd suggest a skunk cleaner as they're fun and active.
Yes, gobies are good for you because they live on or near the sand and wouldn't compete with your other fish.
Perfect appreciate all the tips. I have heard firefish or dart fish tend to try to jump out the tank is that true? And would a watchman goby be okay with a small
Goby

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect appreciate all the tips. I have heard firefish or dart fish tend to try to jump out the tank is that true? And would a watchman goby be okay with a small
Goby
Yes. All fish can jump but they jump more often.

Depends on the species, try and get two very different species. Fish often don't get along with competitors.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back