Aquascape (by a noob) opinions

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I had my tank setup completely but after browsing setups on here I felt like I didn't have near enough rock. I wasn't comfortable cutting up the rock that I had with my lack of tools so all I have is 6 pretty big chunks. Dont mind the cloudiness moving the rock and placing the other one in stirred up some dust. Also I would have cleaned the glass up but I just added Tisbe Pods trying to get my jewel damsel to eat and they are all over the glass. So what do y'all think?
fa115bb50ae5e3a4cca518fba2873e6f.jpg
6e05002fe467682934ee1f3259e229bf.jpg
d0e6d7e31025e9fd1907c9d6d9235b19.jpg
975fdc166c883397bcdba72ac4c489b8.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good but it's hard to scape with rocks that are primarily round and the same size. I would suggest taking a couple out and use a hammer and screw driver to break it up a little then use some epoxy to shape a scape!

OP
OP
Jarhead-CO

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good but it's hard to scape with rocks that are primarily round and the same size. I would suggest taking a couple out and use a hammer and screw driver to break it up a little then use some epoxy to shape a scape!
The tank has only been up for a little over a month so I don't really want to take them out smash em up and kill off the little bacteria that's there. Once the tank matures a little more I might give that a try. Also for what it's worth it is incredibly stable.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. Since you're not comfortable removing and breaking them up, i'd suggest buying some more (smaller) chunks of LR and placing it on top. What size aquarium is that btw?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry, you wont kill bacteria.

IMO, it looks good, I agree you'll be able to improve as time goes on, I assure you youll find a colony on a big rock that'll fit in nicely. Eventually you'll probably want height on your rock. But a tall gorg would do that too...

Good flow around the rocks. Pretty good hiding places. Easy to pull it all out in case of emergency. Stable. East to add to.

OP
OP
Jarhead-CO

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice above. Since you're not comfortable removing and breaking them up, i'd suggest buying some more (smaller) chunks of LR and placing it on top. What size aquarium is that btw?
29 gallon with a fluval 106 canister filter.

OP
OP
Jarhead-CO

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry, you wont kill bacteria.

IMO, it looks good, I agree you'll be able to improve as time goes on, I assure you youll find a colony on a big rock that'll fit in nicely. Eventually you'll probably want height on your rock. But a tall gorg would do that too...

Good flow around the rocks. Pretty good hiding places. Easy to pull it all out in case of emergency. Stable. East to add to.
Yeah I could pull it all out in minutes and set it back up as fast. I built it with flat spots and ledges that I could easily build up higher if I wanted to (and probably will). I had to make sure it was very stable with a kid and a 90 lbs pit bull running through the room the aquarium can get to rocking pretty good. I'm not gonna record it but I assure you it moves more than one should ever move. Kinda why I went with a 29g over a 55g my floors have quite a bit of flex to them.

OP
OP
Jarhead-CO

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sounds like your happy with it, and its stable. So all good.
Yeah I got it all set up and then started looking at other people's set ups and I'm blown away by what some people do. I set this up just kinda on a whim with out trying to copy anything. Knowing what I know now I woulda bought some shelf rock and smaller pieces.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got it all set up and then started looking at other people's set ups and I'm blown away by what some people do. I set this up just kinda on a whim with out trying to copy anything. Knowing what I know now I woulda bought some shelf rock and smaller pieces.
Don't sweat it, its very easy to pull out the rock and change the scape, or add more rock if you choose. I've changed mine around about 10 times in the last 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Jarhead-CO

Jarhead-CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat it, its very easy to pull out the rock and change the scape, or add more rock if you choose. I've changed mine around about 10 times in the last 2 weeks.
Yeah I'm sure i will change it around but I'm trying to let it be for now until the fish are established. My clowns still sleep in the back corner against the glass.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back